Pagoda care

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

seismic

Balaenoptera musculus
Hi, heres a pic of my pagoda coral. Just wanted to know if it is healthy or not. Are the polyps extended as much as they should be ? Any tips on caring for this type of coral. Right now it sits at the top of the tank, slightly to the left of my 150MH. Thanx. :) :)

pagodabo4.jpg

It's not quite fully extended in that picture. But it still looks ok to me. How long have you had it?

(Btw, just my $.02, but if I were you, I'd position it more on it's side to keep debris from collecting in the cupped part of the coral.)

I have a coral almost exactly like this. It is healthy and has had steady growth over the last 2 years. Good water flow is important and I target feed about 1x/wk or so with frozen foods. The polyps have the ability to come out about twice as much as they are for yours.

Yep... when the coral is fully extended, it will look quite bushy and you won't even be able to see the underlying coral from where the polyps are extending from. It will almost look like Goniopora with shorter tentacles. If I can, I'll take a picture of mine today and post it so you can see what we're talking about.

That said, I don't see any reason to think your coral is unhealthy just from the picture. Sometimes it takes them awhile to "get comfortable" in a new tank. I know it took mine at least a couple weeks before it started fully extending.

agreed... this is weak polyp extension. Just increasing water flow (turbulent... not linear) will generally improve polyp extension with T. peltata

I've had this for 2 months already. Actually, on some days it does extend well, but lately its been like this. Im not sure if its due to my MH lighting, which came about a month ago.

You are right sihaya, during the night, I do see some detritus collecting in the cup, and the coral releases some slime and removes it. I will reposition it when I get the time!

I have a Seio 620 pointing near it, but not directly, will that help if I move it towards it ?

Whatever gets more flow to it (and keeps the debris off it) should help. That production of slime costs the coral biologically. So even if it is working, it's better if the coral doesn't have to expend that extra energy... if that makes sense.

Ok, just to give you an idea, I took a pic of my coral which is a bit more extended (though, if you can believe it, it's not even completely extended in this pic)...

IMG_1791.jpg

Whoa, thats way more extension than what mine has, and its not even full yet. Thanx for the pic, at least I know what I'm aiming for now.Really helps....

No prob... just don't get too discouraged. It took at least a few weeks for mine to start looking like that. If all your parameters are right and everything, it should come around eventually. :)

detritus settling in the cup at any time is a clear sign of woefully inadequate water flow. You will often hear that this leads to necrotic tissue recession from sediment that lays too long. Much more flow needed here my friend.

Besides inadequate flow, does the proximity to the MH lights effect polyp extension. By the way, I have repositioned the pagoda and have the seio 620 giving more flow towards the coral now...thanx for the inputs.

Back