Painting a background

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

moortim

Mountain Goat
I am working on setting up a 55 and want to paint the back black instead of using a background, are there any secrets for doing this? what kind of paint do you use? I assume you apply it with a roller? how do I get around bulkheads without messing up the paint or damaging seals? I would love any advice anyone has to give.

thanks in advance:)

Tim

Hey Tim!! I've seen a few threads here before where people mentioned painting the back's of their tanks. For me, I use to buy colored acrylic and silicone it to the inside of the tank. In any event, maybe you can check with Jason (Sherman). He just painted the back of his tank. Here's his thread where he shows what he did. HTH and good luck!:)

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28126

I painted the back of a tank I am working on using a spray paint called American Tradition Plastic Enamel from Lowes. My overflow was already black acryllic, but the back was clear. I got Deep Black, taped off the bulkheads to keep the paint from going inside or on the threads, and taped the sides off. Painted the back (outside), and now when looking from the front you can't tell any difference between the overflow black and where I painted black.

The only minor problem I had was after the paint had dried, I tightened the bulkheads, and some of the paint right around them peeled off. So, after I get all the plumbing finalized, I'll touch up a little bit where it peeled.

hth,
rob

Hey Krish, how's it going man, It's good to hear from you. I kind of disappear for the summer every year but it's good to get back on here and see how everyone is. I am getting my 55 set back up in a very deluxe fashion;) and I can't wait to show it off. I gave the 180 I had a good attempt but with our child coming in November something had to go.:rolleyes:
Talk to you later,
Tim

I painted the back of a tank I am working on using a spray paint called American Tradition Plastic Enamel from Lowes. My overflow was already black acryllic, but the back was clear. I got Deep Black, taped off the bulkheads to keep the paint from going inside or on the threads, and taped the sides off. Painted the back (outside), and now when looking from the front you can't tell any difference between the overflow black and where I painted black.

The only minor problem I had was after the paint had dried, I tightened the bulkheads, and some of the paint right around them peeled off. So, after I get all the plumbing finalized, I'll touch up a little bit where it peeled.

hth,
rob

Rob,
Do you have any pictures of your tank? I would like to have a look at it.

Thanks,
Tim

Sounds great Tim!!! I'm getting the "ich" again so you guys may see a new thread of mine pop up real soon;)

hey Tim how are the baby preparations going :D ?
i think it'd be awesome to have someone do a workshop on this since after seeing Jason's background, it looks really really kewl

hey Tim how are the baby preparations going :D ?
i think it'd be awesome to have someone do a workshop on this since after seeing Jason's background, it looks really really kewl

Hey Gaby,
The baby prep is going great, we have about all the big things we need, my wife is 6 months along so she is starting to get uncomfortable but at least she will miss the worst heat of summer.
I will have to take pictures of my tank as I go along and post them, first I need to get the bulkheads. I just had my tank drilled for a closed loop so I will be ready to paint it soon.

Tim

There's is always a better way to do just about everything. But me...keeping everything as simple as possible, painted my background sky blue with basic house hold flat latex. Three years now and still there...

There's is always a better way to do just about everything. But me...keeping everything as simple as possible, painted my background sky blue with basic house hold flat latex. Three years now and still there...

For the sake of my wife and my constant overwhelming hobbies I am trying to simplify my reef life so I may have to take your advice and just get it done. Thanks for the help.

Tim

Here you go Tim. Not much to look at, and sorry I don't have any before pictures (before only the overflow was black). When I painted it, I remember I actually didn't have the bulkheads installed. I just used tape to plug up the holes to keep paint out and then put the bulkheads on afterwards. During tightening is when the paint around the bulkheads peeled.

PICT9395.jpg

I decided to not paint the back of the overflow area, so I could see the plumbing, etc.

PICT9397.jpg

The paint I used:

PICT9399.jpg

hth,
rob

Here you go Tim. Not much to look at, and sorry I don't have any before pictures (before only the overflow was black). When I painted it, I remember I actually didn't have the bulkheads installed. I just used tape to plug up the holes to keep paint out and then put the bulkheads on afterwards. During tightening is when the paint around the bulkheads peeled.

hth,
rob

Thanks Rob,
I like the idea not to paint the back of the overflow, I will probably do that as well, your tank looks nice.

Tim

Back