painting a glass tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Workaholic

Millipora Addict
I'm trying to paint the back of my Glass tank black but the paint I have tried seems to just crack and seperate when it dries. It was an exterior acrylic latex paint. What types adhere well to glass and are reef safe?

Thanks,
Tom

I've used the cheapo Wally world .99 cent cans and worked great but for a more even faster drying use Krylon.

try cleaning the tank with windex before and then spray in several thin coats. paint usually react to contaminates and cold weather with cracking. hope that helps.

I have used Krylon Fusion rattle can paint on my 75 gallon and it worked perfect. As veralteaquatics said used several this coats.

+1 for any cheap black mate paint at lowes or the depot..... used them all, works great

Use Krylon, but first wipe down with achohol,Then clean with windex and a microfiber cloth. Dust any residual oils will make paint crack.

Good call on the cheapy flat black. Got some at lowes today and did 3 light coats. Looks great! Thanks :)

should i paint where the overflow box is or leave it clear to look at the works inside.

i have worked on fishing boats for many years and all the very exspensive paint would flake and come off over a matter of a couple years. i dont wanna be pulling my tank out and redoing the black. marine grade paint is not needed with all the saltwater?

i have worked on fishing boats for many years and all the very exspensive paint would flake and come off over a matter of a couple years. i dont wanna be pulling my tank out and redoing the black. marine grade paint is not needed with all the saltwater?

Was that marine grade paint used on glass as well? Since glass doesn't corrode like metal, it shouldn't flake off. In the years I have seen/used paint on glass tanks, it will stay adhered unless scraped. Which makes it nice as well for removing. Prep is the key of course.

yea it was mainly on metal! i had just thought corrosion is the battle with metal maybe it could mess with glass to. but ya ill just use some good cleaner(brake cleaner , dx330)

thanks for the help RF your gonna help make the best tank!

Back