Painting acrylic tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

i want to paint the bottom of my 75 black and have a BB
the underside has a tan material on it... i dont think i can get it off..

can i put paint on the inside?
:|

i dont want to but if it's safe and there is no drawbacks.

i searched for this topic too but didn't turn up many basic anwsers.

It is not recommended to paint it. A heat gun and some hot water and a lot of elbow greast will take that tan stuff off of the bottom. That stuff is real easy to get off of a new tank, but when they are used and it gets wet a couple times it really sticks on there.

I agree. Do not paint it on the inside. Paint with leech bad stuff into the water.

instead of painting. outside bottom or back can be covered with window tint graphics solid background. at your local tinting company. if you dont like it, you can always change the color. REEF-ON!

so i got most the protective stuff off the bottom .... used a clean blade and goof-off ...(lightily) and it peeled right off cept for the edges.

now what kind of paint should i use... i have some rattle can paint that would be nice to use if it would work. if not what would?

thanks

You should consider getting a piece of color matching acrilyc and avoid painting it if you can IMO. That's what I did in my tank.

Well i don't know what problems you can run into with painting acrylic but with my 210 (glass) and 90 (also glass) I used latex paint. I applied 6 light coats of paint and it looks great!!! I say try that. It will probably run you about 5-10 bucks for paint and a roller if you don't have one. Also be sure to tape all the edges so paint doesnt leak everywhere on you.

Good Luck,

Nick

Back