Painting acrylic?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

matts125

I want to paint the back of my acrylic tank, this is my FOWLR tank I am tired of the black plastic background because salt creep always gets between it and the glass! what kind of paint should I use? any possibility of spray paint causing problems with the acrylic?

Matt

Is this the big cube Matt? I'm not sure what paint you could use, but if the tank was empty, you could have done what I did on my old 75gal and silicone in an acrylic back on the inside of the tank. Works and looks great! If you don't get the feedback you are looking for, maybe you could ask Brian (IAPBrian) I'm sure he'd have an idea. Good luck!:)

Is this the big cube Matt? I'm not sure what paint you could use, but if the tank was empty, you could have done what I did on my old 75gal and silicone in an acrylic back on the inside of the tank. Works and looks great! If you don't get the feedback you are looking for, maybe you could ask Brian (IAPBrian) I'm sure he'd have an idea. Good luck!:)

Krish this is not the cube it is my FOWLR and it is full and not getting drained any time soon..

Matt

Hi Matt,
I just painted the backs of both of my acrylic tanks. Did not seem to do any harm... and looks great. I used the Behr paint from home depot (the water based enamel). It is about $21 per gallon. I used Mickey Mouse Black color. I applied it to one tank with a brush, to the other with a roller. It takes at least two coats though. I did not sand my tank, but it would have been easier to paint if I had. Hope this helps :)

I would suggest you go to a local signshop and buy some vinyl to apply rather than painting as it can be removed, If you are deadset on painting it I would suggest you use a laquer based paint, most enamels don't stick as well to Acrylic, but will work. If you don't want to, or can't find laquer ( the DEP is trying to stop the use of it) Go with Krylon Fusion.

on a large surface like your tank the laquer might stay active long enough before drying to cause some crazing in the acryllic. if you paint light coats it should be fine, but the overspray is going to be hard to keep out of the tank ant that can become a MAJOR problem. use normal latex house paint, it works fine, doesnt have the vapor problem and its cheap!

Krish this is not the cube it is my FOWLR and it is full and not getting drained any time soon..

Matt

Oh...I didn't mean for you to drain it. Was just curious which tank it was and was giving you an idea of what you could have done if the tank was empty so you wouldn't have to paint it. :)

I've used Spar enamel a few times with good results, may take two coats though. If your tank is stress or was flame polished, laquer or other solvent based paints can induce crazing as previously stated - so would be best to avoid them just to be safe.

HTH,
James

Surface preparation is important. you do not necessarily need to 'scuff' up your surface but you need to make sure it is clean. Use some isopropyl or denatured alcohol and a lint free cloth to clean. Dry wipe with same cloth. Use acrylic spray paint but mask off the area and use some good ventilation to keep the fumes from the inside of your tank. Two or three light coats should do it.

painting

I painted the back of my tank before I set it up. I used Kylon Fusion paint. It looks good and I haven't had any problems with it. Although you have to carefull not to scratch it.

Another thing to remeber is that after a while the back will cover with coraline algea unless you scape it.

dennis

have you tried just re applying the plastic to the back of the tank. I watched a window tinter once and he told me the trick was just soap and water in a spray bottle. After you clean the glass Mist it with the solution use either an ice scraper or I use a credit card and get the water and bubbles out. You should not have any salt problems if you do it that way because it is air tight. Like I said it's the same way they put on window tinting.

have you tried just re applying the plastic to the back of the tank. I watched a window tinter once and he told me the trick was just soap and water in a spray bottle. After you clean the glass Mist it with the solution use either an ice scraper or I use a credit card and get the water and bubbles out. You should not have any salt problems if you do it that way because it is air tight. Like I said it's the same way they put on window tinting.

Another good idea... a little soap with the water is the key. If you screw up you can do it over pretty easy. A good small scraper with not too sharp an edge will chase the bubbles to the edges.

I have been in the Custom Paint/Sign Painting field for over 30 yrs. and have painted many Acrylic signs. I found Laquer to be the only paint to actualy adhere well to it. You do have to do your research, just like in anything you do, to apply it properly. If you just lay an initial wet coat down, yes you will probably have a chance of it crazing, but that is not the proper application.

Back