painting back of glass tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BobinCovington

I bought several cans of different shades of blue and I am going to paint the back glass on my tank with darker at the bottom and gradually lighter shades toward the top. Is there anything I should do to prep the glass? Or any tips on shading technique?

Check with Sherman.... his is the nicest I have seen in this regard. He has a couple of threads on his journey. Best, D

Bob, I did something just like that. A couple tips:

1. Go a lot whiter on the top than you'd think.
2. Go higher with the black on the bottom than you'd think. Corals cover it quickly.

Here's my tank build thread, and the painting is on Page 2. Look at the later pages, and notice how everything looks with lights on it... much different than a dry, painted tank.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28126

I just used the standard glass prep techniques. I used Windex several times, with a new towel each time and when I was done, I think I wiped it down with rubbing alcohol to be sure, but I'm not even positive I did that. I started from the bottom up. I wanted to make sure none of the blue up against the black overflow (so the overflow wouldn't be so visually obvious), so I painted the black across the bottom and vertically up against the overflow, then created an arc from the top of the overflow to the edge of the glass, about 8" up.

Next, I painted the darkest blue with several coats, giving time for each to dry. Luckily, I did this in July also, so it dried very quickly in this 110 degree weather. The "tricky" part really wasn't so tricky in the end, and that's the fading from one color to the next. Basically, the overspray from each color creates the fading effect. Just paint a little lighter at the edges of each color.

When it was all done, and I definitely couldn't see any light through the paint (I was using the sun as a backlight to verify full, even coverage), I used the rest of the black paint to cover over the whole thing nice and thick. I then let the tank sit outside for a couple days to assure complete curing and hardening of the paint. I recommend lots of paint for durability. If this were one color and you scratched the back, it would be easy to paint again, but with this setup you'd always see the scratch from the front side of the tank as a different colored stripe, or something.

Oh, and I masked off the overflow area, so I could still see inside if I needed to. It's up against a wall, so you shouldn't see that part anyway. But a couple times, I've held a mirror up to look at the bottom of the overflow area. Obviously, that wouldn't be possible if it was painted. It's just a maintenance option thing.

Yep u have flat right?This is better so u dont get the fisheye they call it if there is any oily residue?But like he said make shure u dont get any overspray in tank either ,,,or it may freek things out!Ahhh bluk! The best is to use paint thinner on a non fuz rag or reducer,for paint!

hey Jason dood !! ( Hi dood :D :p)
what color of white would you get if you were about to do it all over again? ( i don't know if that makes sence but you know hows's different type of paints for the walls :p ) i'm planning on something and you know i love your background dood:D .

One other thing Ive done to complete my tanks is get a piece of plexi cut to fit and cover the entire back after it is dry, have even done it with counter top laminate. Just silicone it in place to the frame of the tank and it protects the paint from cords and you messing around back there. Ive done three tanks this way, the way sherman described. Works great, I taped of the whole top opening and sides. I get CRAZY with spray paint.

Back