Painting the back of my tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

any spray paint really just pick a color and spray as this is for glass with the cold weather spray in a always moving motion. do not sit in one place too long as for runs in the paint.

Hey, just wanted to find out if anyone has painted the back of their tank & what kind of paint works well on glass?

Actually just painted one of mine last night, super easy. The main thing with painting anything is PREPPING. Make sure you clean it very well than wipe down with mineral spirits or something just before painting to get any oils or such off. I believe mine was an acrylic enamel spray paint. Less than $3. One issue you'll have with painting glass is more than likely you are not going to want to scuff it up. Keeping a very smooth surface and won't adhere/bond as well to hold up to much, but is very easy to remove if needed.

Painted plenty of tanks. I think the best paint is the Krylon brand. Drys really fast and doesn't run. If you don't care about the run off then the Wal Mart brand is best bang for your dollar at .97 cent a can.

Well IMO I like black or blue (not light blue, or dark blue...just blue), clean it like noworries said (you could just use windex or rubbing alcohol), but as far as what kind of paint, sure spray paint is the easiest but by volume the most expensive of course I am penching pennies here but as an example: I painted my stand and back of one of my tanks black, I bought 2 cans of paint and had to go back for 1 more...and then back for 1 more!!! By the time I was done I had spent nearly $15 on paint and all the gas and time going to the store 3 times. I could of just bought one gallon of paint for $9!!! I digress, sorry, point being if you don't use alot of spray paint you don't realize how little paint is in there! As far as what kind of paint I have never paid attention to the type but never had any problems with cracking or peeling.

LOL, thanks for the input. Good thing I live near a Home Depot. I think I will try out the black spray paint. My tank has a black corner overflow so even though blue was my first choice I do not want multiple colors. Thanks again!

Rachel

Good advice. Fusion is what i used. I really liked the results. And yes i would make sure the top is sealed also so you don't get any on the inside of the tank.

I did a progression of dark blue to light blue and yes Krylon...see attached pic

Attachments

• aquarium project 011.jpg
    aquarium project 011.jpg
    34 KB
here are a few pics of what it looks like now (well a year ago)...the dark blue really looks like black and the lighter colors look like sunlight filtering in from the top. Just try to make it not straight line transitions. Seems more natural to make it curved or arched.

Attachments

• aquarium project 055.jpg
    aquarium project 055.jpg
    50.1 KB
here are a few pics of what it looks like now (well a year ago)...the dark blue really looks like black and the lighter colors look like sunlight filtering in from the top. Just try to make it not straight line transitions. Seems more natural to make it curved or arched.

Thats a sweet look bro

Back