Pair of Harly's

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

OmarD

Just got two of these beauties from Eric over at the Shark Reef...they have stayed pretty hidden since introducing to the tank...

But caught this one on "walkabout" last night.

reef1_063.jpg

reef1_046.jpg

reef1_044.jpg

Got them in hope to help out with a asterina plague in my tank. Hopefully will be able to keep them in a more viewable area by tying down their meal (starfish) to a rock or something in a protected but seeable area in tank.

WOW!

Tell me more about these guy's diet...you said starfish? what kind of starfish do they eat and do they eat other stuff besides starfish (I hope)?

WOW!

Tell me more about these guy's diet...you said starfish? what kind of starfish do they eat and do they eat other stuff besides starfish (I hope)?

Nope, only starfish. They really like the feet of starfish the most. Chocolate chip starfish are what most feed them about 1-2 times a month. Choc's are about $5 at my LFS.

Don't tell Anthony:D
I have one too and absolutely love the little monster. think Puyallup Vicky also keeps one. Amazingly strong critters. Mine muscled a sand sifter up through 2 inches of sand, TWICE!

Scott,

Your wrasse is the Paris Hilton of the fish world. Ooh, ooh, ooh, there's a camera.....take a picture of ME. :badgrin:

Your wrasse is the Paris Hilton of the fish world. Ooh, ooh, ooh, there's a camera.....take a picture of ME. lol very nice pics love the color on them

Scott,

Your wrasse is the Paris Hilton of the fish world. Ooh, ooh, ooh, there's a camera.....take a picture of ME. :badgrin:

You are right about the flame, he is a real camera hound...most "in your face" fish I have ever had.
tongue.gif

But these shrimp are powerful! The one in pic flipped over a sand star about 15x its size and drug it back to their lair in mere moments after putting its "dinner" in the tank.
eeek.gif

WOW!

Only starfish, and only live starfish...apparently they have a venom which they paralyze the starfish (I like to think putting it to sleep) and then eat it alive starting at the outside of legs working way in. :eek:

Pair

Was getting frustrated as I never got to see the Harlequins. They would just grab "food" and disappear into lair, and that would be the last I would see of them.

So, this last feeding time I tied down a sand star upside down on a rock with fishing line in front of their cavern. Now I get to see them all the time...:D

Harly_091.jpg

Harly_093.jpg

Hey Curt, - Here is that flame getting in the way again.:cool:

flam_harly.jpg

Scott

Back