Pair of Maroon Clowns Plus 1

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ReefJeff

Hello,

I have a 50 gal reef and just aquired a mated pair of maroon clowns. The problem is, I already had a male (smaller) maroon clown that came with the tank. Will the pair breed with him in the tank? The two males seem to fight over her, but she appears dedicated to her original mate. Will they all get along after time or should I look to house them in a separate tank (dont have one yet)?

Thank you,

ReefJeff

It's also highly likely, especially with Maroons, that the mated pair will kill the single male.

Here is another question.

The pair are clearing away the sand on the bottom of the tank where the anemone is, should I put something in the tank like a piece of slate? or something for them to lay eggs on if that is the case of what they are preparing for?

Thanks,

ReefJeff

If you have LR, they will clean the rock next to the anemone and that where the eggs will be deposited. My pair laid their eggs every few weeks or so. I just can't keep them..:(

Yeah, they'll use the nearest rocks when the time comes. And, Sid is right about removing the lone male. Once they become aware of him they'll likely pester him to death.

Back