pairing clowns?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Macaframa14

how do you do it?
and is there any signs that they are getting along or pairing off?

one lfs told me to either just buy paired clowns or to buy a one clown that is differently bigger than the other and they will mate.
another lfs told me to buy 2 small clowns and that they would mate.

i have 2 fiji tomatoe clowns in my tank. both less the 1 inch in size. 1 is a little fatter then the other but not by much.

They will eventually figure it out. I bought 2 juvenile clowns. It took about 3 months for me to finally see a size difference between them, but it did happen. As far as I know, that's how it pretty much happens.

No. My clowns are particular to my xenia. I've heard of others hosting a powerhead. Either way, nothing is necessary for one to become a female and for them to pair up.

Knowing the species of Clownfish involved would help. Normally, buying two Clownfish that are quite different in size will work out just fine. However, if you're attempting to pair Maroon Clownfish, it's a bit more difficult. With Maroons there needs to be a HUGE difference in size, or the female will likely kill the male. Find as large of a Maroon as you can and then a tiny one.

With most clownfish, you can either buy one small, one larger....OR....buy 2 small clownfish. Eventually, the more dominant one will become female and grow larger.

No, an anemone does not need to be in the tank. They'll host lots of different soft corals, LPS and even equipment....lol.

Oh wow, I needed to read the original post better. I didn't notice that you already mentioned the species...lol. One of your Tomato Clownfish will start to become dominant and will become female. Just watch for any sever aggression. Some aggression is normal and part of the process.

Last edited:
Macaframa14 hopefully you wont mind my asking some questions along the same line.

I have two clowns I got from Barbie (forget the exact kind)
they seem to have paired up.

If you get them an anemone later do they get more agressive? To each other and tank mates or just to us messing in the tank?

I've heard they host all types of things.. has anyone had
them host athena? (sp?)

Too I think I read somewhere, that giving them a clay pot is good, they sometimes use it. True?

I had a a pair of mated ocellaris, and after a year together one of my powerheads lost its filter ( which I do not run those in my tank anymore due to it ) during the day when I was at work, and the female got sucked up in the pump. so I ran out and got another one the same day to try and make the swap fast, thinking that the established male would then become the dominant female I picked up a much smaller one. within a week they were fighting nonstop and the male almosted died I seperated them for a week and when I put them back in the same tank together the fighting stoped and the much smaller clown put on the freshman 15 in about a week and is now more than double the size of the male.
there is no real point to the story, I guess that you can never tell what they are going to due based on size alone it is all on how aggressive they are. they will always work things out.

I think I read somewhere, that giving them a clay pot is good, they sometimes use it. True?

If you get them an anemone later do they get more agressive? To each other and tank mates or just to us messing in the tank?

I've heard they host all types of things.. has anyone had
them host athena? (sp?)

People use the clay pot trick mostly for breeding. The clay pots give them a nice private vertical surface to lay their eggs on which you can swoop in and take to an incubation tank once they finish doing their fishy business.

I used to do the same with my cichlids back in the freshwater days.

Some also use just plain ceramic tiles... its something about the cold flat surface that gets the clowns goin.

I'd doubt they would actually "host" in a pot... but they might hang out and pretend to make it a home.. right now mine are using a rock with some hair algae on it and my clam and they seem perfectly content :D

People use the clay pot trick mostly for breeding. The clay pots give them a nice private vertical surface to lay their eggs on which you can swoop in and take to an incubation tank once they finish doing their fishy business.

I'd doubt they would actually "host" in a pot... but they might hang out and pretend to make it a home.. right now mine are using a rock with some hair algae on it and my clam and they seem perfectly content :D

Ah I see. I wish mine would host the athenia I have going wild! When I get my 75 gal going I might give them a pot maybe. Id have the room then. Its a bit soon for an Anemone. My tank isnt that old and Im really struggling with hair algae.

I've got to get my rear in gear and figure out what to use for a sump and get plumbing! :D

guys,any idea to pair maroon clown fish? currently got one in my quarantine tank and none of em in my main tank.what should i do??

i just did it this weekend regular ocellaris (orange/white) and a black and white ocellaris they did the vibrate dance for about 6 hours and now they host a bubble coral

My Ocellaris are hosting a large Sarcophyton and Duncan coral

vimal, as Michael (returnofsid) said in post #5 above huge size difference or both tiny.

Todd

My Ocellaris are hosting a large Sarcophyton and Duncan coral

vimal, as Michael (returnofsid) said in post #5 above huge size difference or both tiny.

Todd

ok.should i put both of them in tank at same time?

Back