Pappone vs. Coral Frenzy

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I am reading about a million threads on pappone, I know about coral frenzy. They are both coral foods, how are there no comparison? What does each address differently in a coral's nutritional needs?

I am reading about a million threads on pappone, I know about coral frenzy. They are both coral foods, how are there no comparison? What does each address differently in a coral's nutritional needs?

First you have to define coral or type of coral that they are feeding. Then the discussion can go further.

Don

I thought pappone was just a recipe for coral food.

In any case, I think Don is right. The two things have very different ingredients.

I apologize that my initial question wasn't as clear as it should have been...

Which is the better food for SPS, LPS, softies, and nems?

My concern is primarily in the sugar added to the pappone. Is it any different than a child choosing cake over vegetables?

I apologize that my initial question wasn't as clear as it should have been...

Which is the better food for SPS, LPS, softies, and nems?

My concern is primarily in the sugar added to the pappone. Is it any different than a child choosing cake over vegetables?

My opinion of coral freny is low just due to the claims and phosphate levels. The sugar does nothing for corals unless they are using it as a carbon source. What it does do is causes the beneficial bacteria in the tank itself to increase reproduction. This will net you a little cleaner tank but there are there share of drawbacks that outway the cleaner tank.
You cant really group all corals together in discussions like these. I'd suggest one or the other to make for a productive discussion.

Don

OK, let's start with coral frenzy claims and phosphate levels.... please elaborate.

Secondly, in regards to the sugar in the pappone, what are the drawbacks that outweigh the cleaner tank?

OK, let's start with coral frenzy claims and phosphate levels.... please elaborate.

Secondly, in regards to the sugar in the pappone, what are the drawbacks that outweigh the cleaner tank?

First and foremost CF is way to large most any sps. Phosphate levels of bottled foods is important. When deciding on a bottled food for my tank in general. I look at how much P it releases when it hits the water. This would be the free phosphates thats going to fuel everything that we are trying to avoid. I'll just say it realeases more than its fair share.
Adding sugar, vodka....... will cause a big bacterial bloom followed by a noticably clearer tank. What you dont know is to what point you need to slow the population growth. Then there is the starvation die off. Once you have this bacteria you have to feed it or it will die and simple release everything back into the tank. We know when this happens it isnt going to be pretty. Its much safer to let the bacteria population peak on its own so that you have stability.

Don

Don - so I got to thinking about this last night. I wonder if it'd be beneficial to add sugar/vodka to a tank to a new tank to help it cycle faster. Thoughts?

Don - so I got to thinking about this last night. I wonder if it'd be beneficial to add sugar/vodka to a tank to a new tank to help it cycle faster. Thoughts?

IMO no. Better off letting it happen slow and steady. The thing with all these foods is theory sound good when you read it. We throw in all this particulate matter in an attempt to duplicate the feeding strategy of mother nature. It isnt going to happen, we have aquariums. Once this practice is started we just continue to feed into needing more and more stuff.
What I mean is beginners start of by buying this great food the LFS guy recommended or some other beginner on the internet because they sounded like they new what they wer talking about. Next you start seeing the cyano threads. Next you see the more flow and bigger pump threads. Then you see the bigger bad skimmer threads. Or the person just disappears and gives up because the cost is and frustration is mounding to high to deal with.. Think about it we see it on a all to regular basis.

Don

ha ha.. ya mean b/c we'll have a happy drunk (probably me) that "accidentally" spills some vodka into the tank

or something else .. :eek::lol:

Next you start seeing the cyano threads. Next you see the more flow and bigger pump threads. Then you see the bigger bad skimmer threads. Or the person just disappears and gives up because the cost is and frustration is mounding to high to deal with.. Think about it we see it on a all to regular basis.

LMAO!!! :lol::lol:... that was hilarious but sort of true :oops::lol:

Hmm... are we all clear that the better part of (but still likely less than, admittedly) .2ppm phospate is required for the health of most corals that transfer phosphate/nitrogen to their host algae... without which said algae will die, in part/perhaps, from CO2 poisoning... like when folks get waaay too frisky with phoshate removers and rapidly remove it all overnight (then their corals bleach promptly in sequence).

as for particle size... only the smallest fraction of corals kept in the hobby cannot eat items like cylop-eeze, golden pearls, coral-frenzy and the like. Very few people statistically keep Acroporids compared to the gamut of other larger polyped corals that can in fact eat the aforementioned food types (much as they do on the reef in zooplankton via fish/invert eggs, etc).

And even among the so-called sps corals, a huge number can eat these food itmes and far larger items. Just look at the family Pocilloporidae (Stylos, Serios and Pocillos). Many in the family can eat newly hatched Artemia which is way bigger than the foods mentioned above.

Back