Par Thread With Meter

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Mr.Firemouth

RUL'N DA REEFS
Yeah, I got a PAR meter that my local club SEASL has. I will be picking it up this weekend.

What I am going to do is take a PAR reading under my old Pheonix14k DE 250w lamps, then a reading halfway down, then a reading on the sand bed.

Then I will install my new bulbs. They will be Pheonix14k DE 250w also.

This will be a good test because I am testing the same ballast on the same tank with the same brand bulbs rather than bulbs vs. ballast comparisons like Sanjay has. His info is priceless, but I want to know how big of a difference a 8 month old replacement has in actual readings.

The bulbs are in route and may not get here until Monday unless I get them tomorrow.

I will post an update with pics or possible video as soon as I can.
LMK, if anyone wants me to check out anything else.
I will also test PAR on my fuge lamps that are PC incadscent replacements.

I have taken PAR readings before but I have never taken them before and after bulb replacement.

Ok, picked up the meter last night and took some readings.

Here is a pic of the meter with a surface reading just under the water line directly below an 8month old 250w DE Phoenix 14000K bulb.

meter1.jpg

Here is a pic of the sensor at mid tank...
ResizeWizard-1.jpg

Here is the first set of readings with the used lamps. Later today I will change the bulbs and retest. I will place the probe in the same locations. I did feel that the readings were very good and will be very interested in seeing if the levels rise with the new lamps.

Left Side Lamp...

Surface...530
Midtank...220
Sandbed...130

Center Lamp

Surface...425
Midtank...220
Sandbed...180

Right Lamp...

Surface...534
Midtank...190
Sandbed...138

For comparison I did a test on a screw in 100w 10000K bulb...In Fuge tank...

Surface...220
Bottom of tank(15g)...60

Anecdotal evidence is that these bulbs are not as bright, hot, or intense as when new. Who else is anxious in the next readings?

Alright, I have the second set of numbers. Much higher!

250w DE pheonix 14000K New Bulbs

Right lamp...
Surface...730
Midtank...330
Sandbed...240

Center lamp...
Surface...750
Midtank...350
Sandbed...250

Left Lamp...
Surface...760
Midtank...330
Sandbed...210

par.jpg

These numbers are much higher in intensity than the older bulbs. I believe the older lamps could of probably went another 2-3 months before being replaced. When the surface numbers read below 400 umol/m2/s the lamps are getting to weak to use.

I have changed the carbon and will test tomorrow to see if the readings can get higher. I am not sure if there will be a difference because I have pretty clear water.

How much did the meter cost If you don't mind? I'd like to get some readings of my own just to have a basis on when to replace lamps & what lamps produce better results. Thanks for the information cool toy for sure!

Rich,

Thanks for publishing this info. I'm trying to write an article explaining not only Lux, but also PAR and PUR.

If you want just a meter to monitor your own bulbs the sm700 works fine for about $80

Don

I agree that the Milwaukee SM700 is quite nice. However, I spoke with Dana Riddle at length and he made this recommendation for a number of reasons, including (but not limited to).

Our's belong's to our whole club and we wanted something very sturdy (he told me many of the mistakes he's made with his and it's still working). Calibration can be done quite easily without returning it to the manufacturer.
He found it to be more accurate when comparing results to other more expensive units.

Obviously, if you are just looking for changes in your own system, the Milwaukee is the way to go. However, when you are actually looking for real reliable numbers, Dana recommended this one.

Ever try other newer bulbs from say Reefflux or ??
Thanks for the info I like and use that exact bulb :)

Paul

I have changed the carbon and will test tomorrow to see if the readings can get higher. I am not sure if there will be a difference because I have pretty clear water.

Did the carbon help? Thanks for all the great info.

Back