PC lighting - Anybody here still use it and why?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

seagem

Lurker
I have a PC fixture that's been back in its box for years now. Used to have it over my 29 gallon that has now been broken down. T5s and LEDs seem all the rage now but does anybody still use PC lighting over their tanks? If so, what kind of tank are you running it over and why is it the lighting of choice? Just curious because I don't know that my PC fixture will see the light of day again and I don't know what to do with it.

I used to use pc lighting and had pretty good success. I used a 2x65 watt w/ led lunars over my 20 long. If you really want to use it again, I suggest setting up something small with zoas/palys, leathers, and shrooms/ricordias. If you plan on venturing into a bigger tank or more LPS/SPS, then you need to make the switch to T5s or greater.

Oh yeah, I also used 2x 10 watt coralife screw in PCs over my 10 gallon nano reef, and was doing good even with some LPS

Thanks for your replies. :) It just seems like such a waste of energy to use two 65 watt bulbs when there are greener alternatives. Using it over a 20 long sounds like a good plan if I ever want to really scale down, though.

i use them over my rsm130 in a 24" outer orbit 150w MH with the 2x 65w pc's. I still use them because i'm too cheap to buy a new fixture plus i like the color i get with the pc's.

2x 96W on a 46g. Mostly LPS with a few easy SPS here and there.

DSC_2693-1.jpg

Why is it my lighting of choice? Because it's what I started with and I haven't found a compelling reason to change. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of closet PC folks out there... they're just too embarrassed to admit it! Shoot... I'll even admit I have a Remora HOB skimmer!

I have PC lighting, mostly because I got a good deal on a used light, and thats what it had in it. You can see the light specs in my sig.

Seems to work great. The PC in my light is mostly for color, as the halides have most of the power in them

Back