PC or T5 lighting on a glass canopy

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

lapizzaro

Hi Guys - Does anyone know whether a glass canopy will shatter if i put a power compact or T5 fixture (with legs) of 260 or 380 watts (coralife or Current USA) over it and leaving space for evaporation? I am trying to light a corner tank without hanging a fixture or using the wall. I wanted to use MHs but was told that would get too hot. Thanks

It really shouldn't...PC's or T5's don't run nearly as hot as MH's...I've had both glass and plexiglass covers under my VHO/PC combo, with no problems at all... if you are concerned, get tempered glass, that way at least if something was to happen, you don't have a bunch of sharp jagged shards of glass everywhere.

MikeS

Why do you want the glass canopy on? I think most people put the lighting directly over the water, with varying distances between the light source and the water.

I really don't want the glass canopy but it appears I might have no choice. I am trying to light a 92 corner tank and have 22 feet ceilings and I have been banned in using the walls. The trianglar shape is giving me fits.
Thanks

Back