PCI PS-2000 Help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

So I took the lid off my collection cup to wipe off the layer of crap that accumulates on it and then I went to throw the stuff away and when I came back I noticed a significant increase in the level the bubbles get up the neck. It still hasn't overflowed into the collection cup but with the lid off the bubbles look like what I think they should and it seems to be working better.

Is there something I can do to the lid to make the flow better or stay this way with it on? What's causing such a quick and drastic change in the performance when I take the lid off?

is the o ring or gasket in the way of the flow of the bubbles??? It shouldnt be, i clean mine out with warm water and a baby toothbrush every now and again. It takes time for the fats and slime to build back up but thats a good way to keep it clean and going...

man, i wished u lived closer... i could fix everything on that skimmer in 10 min. :)
but just go through that massively long thread on RC about modding octos,
then pm me with any q's before you chop.

as far as your skimmer working better withthe lid off, thats weird...
are there any holes in the lid to allow air to escape??
if not i'd say go ahead and drill a couple 1/4" holes close to the edge on opposite sides of the lid.

Last edited:
So not sure what happened but I went on a short vacation (my dad got married) from last Wednesday to Sunday. I got back in the office on Monday and the skimmer cup was overflowing with water and so was the 2 liter I have it drain into. So I emptied it all out and lowered the pipe on the skimmer and now it seems to be doing what I see other skimmers do. It doesn't quite have the right coloration just yet as far as the tea stuff but for some reason it is skimming as you would expect it to do. I'm still wondering why. It was used so it had been used before and its been running in my tank for about 2 months or so. Seems like an awfully long 'break-in" period.

I'm still interested in some mods Skimmy but just glad its working better now. :)

This is just an old school Reef Octopus skimmer NW150. Stock is ok but modded will perform heaps better like Skimmy suggested.

Mods to consider:

1. Replace the impeller with a pinwheel or meshmod the existing needlewheel using PF4 Enkamat mesh.
You should be able to find pinwheel impeller for the OTP-2000 pump which I'm pretty sure is what your skimmer is using.
NEW OTP High Performance Pinwheel Impeller OTP-2000-IMP - Reeflo / Water Blaster / Bubble Blaster / Octopus Pumps

2. Get a better aspirating venturi as well for same pump
Reef Octopus Replacement Intake Venturi fits OTP2000 Pump - 80002 - AquaBuys.com

3. You put a gate valve on the output which will allow you much better and more precise control on the water level also.

Oh and if this is a new skimmer it will take some time to break in as well (could take up to a few weeks).
The more you stick your hands into the water the longer it will take as well since doing so the oil on your hands are messing with the water's surface tension.

Back