Peltier effect chiller

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Sk8r

I have a 52g that just needs a little heat-removal in hot weather. Seems at my size if I get some killer chiller, it'll spend most of its energy removing its own heat from my under-cabinet. I've heard rumors of a Peltier Effect chiller for nano aquaria---which I almost am---and wonder if anyone has any information on it or experience with it?

Replying to my own thread here. It's by Ice Probe, a nano cooler. I'm a little large for it, and I'm not real keen on drilling my sump...I wonder if one could bodge one from parts: a fan and a Peltier module, the same as in car cooler boxes, the lighter-plugin sort.

Yep, that's the one. I take it I have to drill a hole in my sump and hope the seal holds. ;)

Yep, that's the one. I take it I have to drill a hole in my sump and hope the seal holds.

Yeah...That's what it looks like (like you have to drill). I will give Rob a call and see what he thinks abut them and let you know:)

Well...Rob said it is an ingenious idea. Some people use a powerfilter like an aquaclear, drill it and run it in there. The only problem is the size of your tank. You may only get 1-2 degree drop using it on that size tank. HTH:)

much much better to oversize a chiller than undersize it. Even with it running all the time, you won't get much pull from it. I bet you could do just as well with a series of fans in the canopy.

I love TECs/peltiers!

With out them my lasers would only be a fraction of the power, and my computer CPUs couldnt be over clocked nearly as hard.

Ok, here's what you need to know, peltiers/TECs can not just make heat dissapear, in fact they actaully increase total heat. So why are they awsome coolers you ask? Because they are like pumps for heat, they suck heat out of one side of them and move it to the other side. Now, this other side needs to be setup for dissapateing heat in large quanities, or it will quickly reach the max temp difference (called the Delta T) of the device, and no further cooling can occur. It also often causes damage to the device.

If you want powerful TEC cooling, this is the unit that I use.
http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=85

That unit does the same amount of work as a 1/3hp chiller!!! And you can use as many as you want! Totally reliable, effectively infinate lifespan, power efficient, tiny, silent, and cheap cheap!

Now, the down side... All the pre-made fixtures for useing peltiers to cool fluid that I know of use copper, silver, aluminum, or so other metal as the base plates to sandwich the peltier. The hot side can just use a large CPU heat sink and cooling fan. Something like this would be fine. http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=FAN-A1671&c=pw

So, long story short, with peltiers/TECs, and a little DIY spirit, you can easily make say a 1hp chiller thats totally silent, tiny, 100year+ lifespan, and all for under $150.

If you just need to drop a 55gal though, a single 1/3hp unit, a single heat sink/fan setup, and a single waterblock (that doesnt use metal, likely have to build you own) would be more than adquate, and the cost should be below the $70 area for all the parts needed.

Thank you! Got what I need! I'll start with fans, but if the temperature gets too much I'll be looking at options in a hurry...I'm on the WARM side of the Cascades.

Hey liveforphysics,
The protective coating on the probe of the my Iceprobe is flaking off, exposing the aluminum. Any ideas on what I can use to seal it with?

Thanks,
Todd

Back