Pepermint shrimp...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Having a very hard time catching these menaces? Any proven traps?? or techniques in catching them?

Take out all of your rocks! Or make a trap with a 1 liter bottle cut the top off and then stick it back in up side down, then poke some holes in it and put food in there and wait.

Brian

menaces? what did they do? I've never had any problem with them except taking the ride down to the sump over and over.

Mine were evil little guys they would kill my snails. If you google this a lot of people have had problems like this and dislike them.

Brian

I have never had problems with peppermints other than them stealing food from my LPS. Are you sure you have peppermints? Maybe they are camel shrimp. They can be a real pest.

i just saw a peppermint shrimp tear apart an astrea last week. kinda cool looking, but i was really mad at it. I got it out by not feeding the tank for a couple of days. then when my lights turned off, I put food in a net and it immediately jumped into it. needless to say, it no longer a threat to any of my snails.

All the threads and articles I've read said Peppermints are good and reef safe. Camel Backs are often "mis-labeled" as peppermints. Camel Back shrimp will eat your softies and anything else they can get away with. I had an aptasia problem in my tank, dropped in 5 peppermints and no longer have any aptasia in my tank. The only thing I have problems with is I catch hermits eating my snails if they tip over.

it just depends on the shrimp i think. even common cleaner shrimps have been known to nip at xenia etc on occasion. camel backs should be pretty obviously different since they have a huge hump on their backs but who knows.

All that being said i think the advantages of peppermint shrimps and common cleaners outwiegh the possible negatives. Nothing pleases me more than to see a cleaner shrimp clinging to a fish cleaning parrasites off,dead skin etc or to see a peppermint obliterating an apstasia.

The dancing peppermints I have did their job and ate the apstasia...But I have 8 and their like cockroach's and eat every scrap of food in the tank starving out the other inhabitants and they eat worms (Hawaiian fans).

To get them out of your tank, just pull the rock that they are attached to out of the tank and let it sit in a 5 gallon bucket. They will crawl off the rock and walk around the bottom of the bucket. At least that's how I pulled mine out of my tank on accident when I decided to rearange my rock.

Home made crab trap BACK FIRE!!!!
Made a trap out of galvanized zinc wire was told the same stuff as a regular crab trap would be OK for salt KILLED almost all my inverts except the peppermints and has seriously harmed my mushrooms, ananome's , zoa's, Dead brittle stars dead pistol shrimp Large emerald... Pretty much crashed the tank and the pepermints live on!!!

Home made crab trap BACK FIRE!!!!
Made a trap out of galvanized zinc wire was told the same stuff as a regular crab trap would be OK for salt KILLED almost all my inverts except the peppermints and has seriously harmed my mushrooms, ananome's , zoa's, Dead brittle stars dead pistol shrimp Large emerald... Pretty much crashed the tank and the pepermints live on!!!

ouch!! yeah never put metal in your tank for one and yah gotta use something less harmful so you can release what you dont want to catch without harming it

Some Quick water changes and I think most of the inhabitants will be fine now and the pistol did make it:) But still no luck with the peppermints can't pull the rock too large and to much growth that would be damaged?

"I don't know if this will help or not but here is a good article on peppermint vs camel shrimp. It still doesn't help your problem but I have seen many times camel being mistaken for peppermint."

That's insulting!!

There is also a difference in peppermints that are more aggressive and some that are less so but the problem, I have is too many in my tank. I have eight and they ate the apstasia and now are eating everything else.

1 or 2 was good for me. 5 and they turned into little bastards. I was able to catch 4 and kept the other one with no problems for a long time.

The only way I could get them was to not feed for a day or 2 and lure him into a net with food in it. They can only move fast backwards so have 2 nets.

Back