peppermint shirmp not as effective as I though

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I think the way to go would be set up a seperate tank, say a 10 gallon, and put nothing but peppermint shrimp in there and just rotate rock through 1 piece at a time.

as far as manual removal goes those guys are pretty hardy. I have melted the smaller ones with an injection of hydrogen peroxide. The larger ones have taken hold in some very hard to reach places and after retracting into the rock they always seem to come back.

Does anyone have a identification source to check the various subspecies of the shrimps? if in fact it is true that some eat apstasia and some don't.

i got infested with aiptasia and i bought 2 peppermints..i had about 30+of aiptasia..in one night they ate it all..i kept them eventhough i dont have aiptasia anymore..then a while ago i added a coral,i notice a small tiny aiptaisia on a piece of rock with the coral,i got worried then hours later i look at it and its gone..they are really good pest killer but they are a pest too:mad:..theyre food stealer..specially on acans they will dig on the mouth of the acans..one time my acan got ripped/tear on the flesh..now theyre after my sun coral when feeding..

i cant catch these buggers as theyre smart..i will break down my tank pretty soon and will get rid of them...
What' an "acans"? I am a total nubie. thanks!

They eat when they feel like it

I think the way to go would be set up a seperate tank, say a 10 gallon, and put nothing but peppermint shrimp in there and just rotate rock through 1 piece at a time.

as far as manual removal goes those guys are pretty hardy. I have melted the smaller ones with an injection of hydrogen peroxide. The larger ones have taken hold in some very hard to reach places and after retracting into the rock they always seem to come back.

Does anyone have a identification source to check the various subspecies of the shrimps? if in fact it is true that some eat apstasia and some don't.
1 day you wake up and the job's done,they don't go to work right away, but when they do they work fast,I don't have any LPS corals and love the peppermint shrimp cause once you have ataspia they somehow always return one in the overflow or somewhere.

hey! where did all my aptasia go? =)

I got a supprise this afternoon, Only could find 3-4 of them left. I counted 15 or so the other day.

so I guess he is doing his job. I don't mind if a few are around, keeps him out of trouble I suppose.

Last edited:
Back