Peppermint Shrimp

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ak_reefer

Well I had a couple of aiptasia pop up and i was monitoring them then a couple of more showed up in that cluster so I thought now would be the time to take care of the problem. They were in a position that was hard to get to to use a syringe or Joes Juice or any of those options. So during BRA sale I bought 5 pep shrimp since they were on sale and I had never tried them out. Well I put them in and it took them a couple of days to acclimate to their new environment, this morning I woke up and like a pack of wolves they were munching down on the aptasia needless to say they took care of my problem. Just thought I would share my experience with them.

I have had the same experience with peppermint shrimp that I bought from Barrier. I got mine last year at their sale. they are still alive and still doing a great job.

Yeah I was surprised at how fast they went to work, even when I fed the tank this morning they did not stop and chase the food they stayed munching to the aiptasia.

Sigh... I know how you feel. I'm currently dealing with an ever growing aiptasia issue these past couple months. I'm thinking of going the berghia nudibranch method though since I have a neon dottyback. Good luck!

You know, now that I think of it. I wonder if the neon dottyback would bother the nudi's or not.?.? Hmm... I think it should be fine.

Fred? Yeah these shrimp took care of the problem. I dont think the dottyback would bother berghia, my elongated dottyback hasnt messed with the shrimp yet, but they are not as aggressive as most dottybacks.

Glad to hear the good results with peppermint shrimp. went to our local FS to get some this afternoon but they were out. Oh well, another shot in the face for my aptasia with kalk tonight.

I found this when I googled it...I have not tried it yet...maybe it's worth to take a look.
http://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/385922/diy-aiptasia-zapper

If you take a look at my signature you'll see instructions for building one of the original actual plug in the wall units. I did the experimenting to find out if AC current would work instead of the 12v DC battery that the original inventor used without electrocuting the whole tank. I still use my aptasia zapper to this very day. It also works to kill out of control mushrooms, xenia, encrusting Montiporas and anything else you can think of.

If you take a look at my signature you'll see instructions for building one of the original actual plug in the wall units. I did the experimenting to find out if AC current would work instead of the 12v DC battery that the original inventor used without electrocuting the whole tank. I still use my aptasia zapper to this very day. It also works to kill out of control mushrooms, xenia, encrusting Montiporas and anything else you can think of.

THANK YOU Trido,
very good info indeed.

Back