Peppermint shrimps disappearing

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Octupus

Octupus
i had a problem with aptasia and bought 3 peppermind shrimps... from the first day i introduced them to the tank i stopped seeing them. i have no idea where they are... i am sure they are not in the tank as i moved every rock... could it be that a fish ate them? i had a clown, a yellow tang, a blue damsel and a lizard goby... any ideas?

I dont know for sure what mite have happened to them but I got a few for the same reason...put them in my 20 gal nano and they dissappeared too....I saw them eventually after a while...but they didnt eat that much aptaisia...but they did eat it...

Your only going to see them at night like mentioned above. ALthough after a while they will come out when you feed. And stop eating aptasia ; )

well..... ive had meny in all of my tanks... the longest i got was 2 years..

they are agressive.. and fast.

my srg major, got the last one.... it was cool to watch.. happen right in front of my eyes

well they are definitely not in the tank! i just moved the whole live rock into my other tank and no sign of the shrimps. I have a feeling my lizard goby had something to do with it.

sometimes they never eat aptasia i hear wimplefish/banner and more likely to eat aptasia then copper bands

if only there was a nudibracnh that likes to eat them then that would be good

my boss has told me while diving he has found huge colonys of them they look good for far away bright green mass but then its just aptasia

apperntly one of the collectors in w.a. used to collect them before he found out they were a pest

Wow! so many bad stories about them. I've been using them religoiusly for three years and they have always done their job. I never see them and eventually my aptasia go away. As a matter of fact, when aptasia start showing up all over the place, I know that one of my mean fish hunted them down and its time to buy more.

I dropped 3 of them into my tank and didn't see them again for 9 months. They found holes in the LR, crawled in them and only came out when they felt like it. They didn't eat the large aiptasia, but they ate all the smaller ones and there were no new ones springing up at all.

I added 20 peppermints to one of my raceways. Never saw them for 3 months then suddenly they began to show up when I fed corals at night

No more peppermints for me. Have you tried Joe's Juice?

do you have a 6line by any chance?

I had some in a 20 gallon that disappeared as well. I later found out I had a Gorilla Crab and believe he was responsible. Recently I bought some for a 65 I am setting up and they lasted a few days, then I saw what was left of them, just their shells. I believe my Mystery Wrasse did them in.

Back