PH plummeting....need help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

skozzy1

Did my first water change today withy RO/DI water. Was getting .4 ppm after the DI.
ALK is 9.2
But PH is 7.06 and still falling, was 7.6 to 8.18 depending on light cycle.
Add baking soda or what?
Mixed reef tank is 1.5 yrs old

With and alk of 9.2 your PH shouldnt be that low. Of course you know that. My first thought would be oxygen levels in the house since your in Ak. Im sure you've had it seal up tight for quite a while. Do you run a skimmer. Do you get any surface agitation from your pumps to help O2 exchange? Is your house new or old? How airtight is it? You'd be suprised what an airtight house can do to regarding O2 depletion. It isnt noticable to us but your tank may show it. The easiest way to test it is to take a cup of tank water outside and run an air stone in it for an hour and then test for PH. If its higher, then figure out a way to get more air to your skimmer without freezing the house. Sometimes even an airline outside of the stand helps.

You from the southeast, or anchorage area?

I am from Ketchikan in the southeast panhandle.
Heres the deal. Went to Seattle and brought my skimmer to get it modded by my LFS. So no skimming for a week now. My New RO/DI setup was first used for this Water change. It sat in a closed container unmixed for a couple days. Maybe the lack of O2 is the problem. I have some airstones I could put in there.....You think?

No sump but airstone is in tank and pump is out the window getting some of this fresh Alaska air in there. Lights just went off when I plugged in the airpump though. Kinda hard to see a trend just yet.

No skimming for a week would definately have an affect on your Ph. My Ph dropped significantly in one hour without the skimmer. Also, any time you use top off or do a WC you should run the air stone in the new water for 24 hours if possible. Keep us posted.
Ive been "past" Ketchikan a few dozen times. Very pretty place to live.

With a reading of "6.76" for pH, I'm guessing a digital meter, eh? Battery powered with bad batteries? Time to replace the electrode? Agree with herefishyfishyfishy... you're just not going to get that level in salt water that was just changed.

Your entire tank would become a calcium reactor as in the water would be dissolving the rock and sand and there is no way without some massive quantities of acid being steadily dosed. My guess if digital, it hasn't been calibrated or the PH probe is toast

I do use a Pinpoint PH meter. It has always been real close to my FasTest granular PH kit.
The probe looks clean but I will clean it tonight any way.
I sure wish I had some calibration fluid left.
The FasTest kit result was Yellow in color which is off the chart on the low end.
The thing that is different is this particular water change was done using my new 6 stage RO/DI unit. Something has to be wrong with that water. It tested .6 ppm.
Not sure what to do next.

It is the meter unless you have battery acid flowing non-stop into the tank. See what PH it gives on RO water, bet is incorrectly says that your RO water or even tap water is very acidic in lieu to 7.0

The thing that is different is this particular water change was done using my new 6 stage RO/DI unit. Something has to be wrong with that water. It tested .6 ppm.

Even if there was something wrong with the water, sure seems like any salt mix would at least buffer it up to where it needs to be.

Not sure what to do next.

Get calibration fluid or test your meter against a known.

What TDS are you getting into the RO/DI unit? It should easily be down to "0" Is it installed properly? Go out & get you a PH test kit, If everything isn't dead yet then your most probably fine just getting a bad reading.

Cat chewed the probe lead almost in half.
Were having stir fry tonight.
Your all invited.
Thanks for your help guys.

Hello;

I all else fails disconnect the hose from the pre-filters to the RO unit and use real water with buffers in it.

Test this water --- okay to drink ?

You can bet the rent if you mixed new water and Salt mix to 1.025 it will be plenty buffered and the PH will be okay. Magnesium and Calcium may be low --- one will be I am sure.

I am happy you found your problem --- think what would have happened if you chased the PH with buffers?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If this don't work, I can always change the water!"

"OFM"

Enjoy!

OFM

Back