Phos Reactor

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

carlos_fb

Caribe Piranha
I was wondering if I should get a Phos Reactor since I don't have any chemical filtration in my setup (60 gal tank, 22 gal sump, skimmer).

what do you think? suggestions?

Last edited:
I had a custom made fluidized reactor for carbon & phosphate removers, I just bottom feed water real slow & it is pushed through the chambers & media, works well. I would suggest getting one, you can find small units like Krish has, just shoot him a PM!

Do you think you need to run chemical filtration? (i.e. something going on in the tank). I run carbon and a phosphate remover, but I wouldn't say they are a necessary item, unless you want to use them. I currently run both passively in the sump (in filter socks), however, I DIYed a fluidized reactor at a club meeting, and will run carbon in it.

I use a TLF phosbn reactor and love it. You can't beat it for the price especially seeing that it helps removing any phosphates in your system and the media is good for 3 months. Here is a link to the one I have.:)

The reactor
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...=PROD&Product_Code=TLF-PHOSREC&Category_Code=

The pump
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MJ400&Category_Code=

The Media
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...=PROD&Product_Code=TLF-PHOSBAN&Category_Code=

Do I have to install the TLF phosban reactor in the main tank or the sump?

Krish do you have pictures of yours installed? I don't have a lot space left in my stand to add more equipment.

You can put it anywhere. It can sit in the sump, outside the sump not attached to anything at all just water pumping in etc. I'll dig up a few pics of how I had it connected in different setups of mine. Give me a sec:)

If your super low on space you can run it in a inline di resin cartridge, works great.

Don

No problem Carlos...The little maxi jet that feeds it has to be turned down a lot. You have to use a ball valve to control the flow (which comes with it) to where there is a slight aggitation on the surface of the media and even better none at all. You basically get a trickle out of the output so not much flow needed at all which is why you can "Y" off of another pump to feed it like Don suggested. :)

No problem Carlos...The little maxi jet that feeds it has to be turned down a lot. You have to use a ball valve to control the flow (which comes with it) to where there is a slight aggitation on the surface of the media and even better none at all. You basically get a trickle out of the output so not much flow needed at all which is why you can "Y" off of another pump to feed it like Don suggested. :)

It's a pretty low flow, since I don't have any other pump to feed it, do you think I should get the same pump you have or the Mini-Jet 404 Powerhead that marine Depot recommend for the Phosban Reactor? heat transfer is always an issue.

Either one...They both are the recommended pump for it so which ever one works out best for you, but like I mentioned before, if you wanted to "T" or "Y" off of an another pump you can do that and save yourself from adding another pump. All you'd need is a few fittings and you'll be set :)

Do you think it would be a good idea to add an extra Phosban reactor to run only carbon in my tank? having the other with Phosban...

If you want to run carbon, it is a nice way to run it :)

I agree running the carbon through a fed reactor seems to work better from my personal observations.

Since I don't have a lot of space I think I'm only going to get one, run phosban for 3 months and 1 month with carbon.

Depending on the size of your system you may be able to run both in the same reactor. You'll be surprised how little GFO goes into that reactor.

Don

Depending on the size of your system you may be able to run both in the same reactor. You'll be surprised how little GFO goes into that reactor.

Don

I have a 60 gal + 22 gal sump. Do you think I can run both in the same reactor? if so in what proportion?

Back