Phosban and carbon together

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

rbruce3

Has any one used phosban and carbon together in the same set-up. i have a two stage Pentair Aquatics (Rainbow Lifegard). i want to know if anyone has ever put carbon in with phosban, in the same tube and did it work.

thanks for the help.

I've never used them together. Typically phosban media (atleast the media I use) requires very slow flow through it to be effective. I like my carbon to have a little more flow than that. Just me 2 cents though...Not necessarily the correct way:)

A local reefer (Weatherson from other boards) used to use them in the same chamber, but he recently stopped using PhosBan altogether. He never had any problems that I know of, but I don't know what the flow rate was through that reactor. Here's a quick shot:

402_reactor_plumbing.jpg

The problem with running them together in a reactor is that the carbon does not last as long as the phosban. Kind of a waste of phosban.

Don

I debated whether or not to do the same thing using a single TLF reactor. After countless hours of reading..:confused:

I decided to use two reactors so that I could control the flow precisely for each media. Apparently if the flow through the Phosban is to high it will grind itself up leading to problems. Having independent control over the flow rates seemed like it was worth the additional $30 for the second reactor. (I have a single powerhead that feeds both reactors, the carbon runs at a about 90G/hr and the Phos at about 5g/hr)

When I run a phosphate absorber (whatever kind), I put it into a separate filter canister, in series with and down stream of a carbon canistor. Most phosphate absorbers will also absorb a number of organics, and I see no reason to deplete expensive phosphate absorber with organics that could be removed by relatively cheaper carbon.

Even if I had a phosphate reactor (don't have one now), I would still run it directly downstream of carbon.

Back