Phosban and New tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MINIATUS

Its been awhile since Ive post, Anyway Im setting up a smaller tank, 36x18x24 and purchased a phosban reactor with media. A few things Ive read about alk drop has me concerned on how much should I really use. Would it be best to add a alk booster when I start it up or will the alk level over the curing stage.
Also when they say as an example 50 grams for 50 gals does that include the rock, sand or whatever else is in the tank.
I was thinking along the lines of 50 grams for the 65 gal tank. Not enough or should I add more.
Any help from the gurus would really be helpful.

:confused: :confused:
MINIATUS

Are you using the Julian Sprung's phosban media? If so, that is what I use and I put in what they reccommend without taking into consideration rock etc. I don't think you can use too much phosban like that or too little in your case. You may just exhaust the media quicker with less, but not cause a problem because that media doesn't leach back into the water when exhausted like carbon does. About the alk, couldn't say. I'd just keep and eye on it just to be sure. Just a few thoughts...Hope that helps and glad to see you around again:)

Evening Kirsh
Yes its the Phosban by Sprung. So with the sump volume have the container would work well. Always get a little tense when trying something new to Me.

MINIATUS:D

Yeah, what I did was just added up the total tank volume and sump volume (which in my case is a 75gal with about a 25-30 gal sump which equals to say 100gals total) and then used the reccommended amount for 100 gals. The stuff isn't like medication IMO or anything and if you look on the label, for freshawater, it requires even less. I've been using mine for about 1 year now without any problems and I just starting testing for ALK not too long ago and I had to cut back on my dosage because my Alk was rising too quickly. So I wouldn't worry too much. I look at phosban like I do carbon except it lasts 3 months and will not leach back into your aquarium:)

Min,
Good to see another familiar face from the RAG days....

I use about 1/2 a small container (150 grams?) for my 75 gallon system. I havent noticed any RTN issues or spikes/drops in Alk. I fill the reactor with the amount of media I will be using, turn it on, and have it run the first gallon or so of effluent into a bucket. This gets all the reddish "dust" from the media out of the system and away from my tank. I run full bore into the bucket until the effluent runs clear, (no more dust). Then, I lower the flwo rate down to a trickle, (enough to keep the media barely moving) for the first 48 hours or so. After that, I open the flow to the normal levels.

No issues with doing that for the past year.

Good luck,

Nick

I remember you:D
I was over there a few days ago and posted something, damn near took off my head. Think there trying to clear out the old members. But thats then this now.
How you been doing.

MINIATUS

Min, I'm doing good overall...had some fun tank issues, but it wouldnt be a challenge if things were easy all the time, right?

I made a typo when stating the amount of phosban I use in my earlier post. I use half of a 150 gram container for my 75 gallon system. I have edited my previous post to reflect that.

I know what you mean, I rarely go over there anymore, as the site has changed quite abit since I first found online reef forums.

Just remember you're welcome here anytime!

Nick

Back