Phosban Reactor

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

i will just hook up my maxijet 600 and cut the flow back a bit....Krish, do you keep your flow "wide open" from the maxijet 400??

Nope! It is almost closed. You don't want the media tumbling. I set the flow a little less than where there is a slight agitation on the top layer of the media and really nothing to talk about. I mean sometimes the flow is so slow, I have to pull the drain tube out of the tank to make sure it is flowing. A few grains jumping here and there is cool, but you don't want the media tumbling:)

i may just order a maxi-jet 400..i am currently using my others for mixing water..i will just use the 600 temporarily, until i get a smaller one....do you think my Mag12 would be too much flow:badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: ???????

If you don't have a low flow pump you can do what I did. I'm using my MJ1200 but have a Tee on it to allow the "unused" flow to go back into the sump. The reason I have it like this though is because I plan on adding another TLF Phosban reactor for my carbon. Would still work with your setup.

that is a good idea..i wish i had read that before i went and bought a Maxijet400..i just got the pump and my reactor just arrived..i am about to set it up..what clamps, if any, did you guys use to connect the hoses to the reactor???..i know it is already barbed, but i want clamps for reassurance..i looked at some clamps, but they were all metal, and i am not having metal clamps in my sump

well, i opened the box and parts were missing..the ball valve and some clamps were not in the box..i ordered it from Petsolutions..i called them and they said it wasn't their fault..they told me to contact the manufacterer..i will never order from them again!!!!! bad customer service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i just told them that i was going to return it..the girl told me that i need to talk to the manufact...i told her that it definately wasn't MY fault..they sent me an item that was incomplete and i shouldn't have to deal with other people.THAT"S WHAT I PAID THEM FOR!!!!!! i am returning it and going elsewhere

Last edited:
That's why I deal with Premium Aquatics;) They are supposed to come with the ball valve as well as black hose clamps that you put over the hose and pinch them down to tighten. If you look closely at my 3rd attachment in my earlier post, you can see it or just look here http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...roduct_Code=TLF-CLAMP1/2&Category_Code=Clamps . Other than that, I've used black zip ties as well. The "barb" will hold it on the hose, but the clamp is just for safety:)

well, i wouldn't even mind that much if i had at least gotten the ball valve..i could have just waited for the clamps, but now i have to wait another week to get it running..i need it now!!!!

I’m glad you started this thread, Ron but that sucks about your order problem. I hope you don’t mind if I jump in here to ask a few more questions...
Right now I’m using a canister filter to basically use activated carbon in an aggressive manner. It’s a space hog in the stand under my tank next to my sump, and a pain in the butt to clean. So I’m looking for alternatives.
What’s the track record on these reactors?... Has anybody had any issues with them leaking?
Are they easy to clean? They seem kinda messy with loose media being used in them.
Has anyone tried putting carbon or phosban media into a media bag first and then running that in the unit?

it specifically says not to use media bags in the reactor..i haven't heard of any problems with them..

Never used the media bags either Rob, but the reactor is great! I've had the first TLF phosban reactor with the stupid nuts, but then I switched to the new ones that have twist tops. They never leaked on me and are very versitile if you'd like to run carbon (like you mentioned) in it. Takes about 5 mins to clean out the reactor and swap out the media:)

2 little fishes

I own a small store and have had to return the kent models due to their hard plumbed fittings on top.The two litle fishes reactor has fittings that are bendable and that is a big plus,and a maxijet 400 is more than enough pump you want to adjust he flow witch is provided on the two little fishes model so thatt the media looks as if its bareley boiling about 300 gals per hour and that will be the correct flow.To low of flow will create an anoxic condition in the reactor and thats not good.

well i calmed down from my temper tantrum and decided to keep the reactor..i went to Lowes and bought a valve to control the flow...i hooked it up..i just figured out that i had the lines crossed...i didn't know that it mattered which inlet i connected the hoses to..i started watching it and figured it didn't look like the flow was coming from the bottom, so i switched them

Back