Phosguard in Phosban Reactor??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ronj

Blue Tang
i have a big jug of Phosguard..i was wondering if i could use it in my Phosban reactor....any thoughts??? is the Phosguard(by Seachem) a good product???

If it fits in there I would say you could use it ;) But whether its suggested or not, I would think it should work fine. Phosban reactors can be used for carbon as well as many other things. I've seen people use the seachem seagel which is the carbon/phosguard mix in a reactor. Not sure what type of flow is suggested but seeing as the stuff isnt going to get crushed like phosban will, you should be fine with flow from a mj1200.

HTH

Some first-hand experience, I'm using PhosGuard for almost an year, LPS, softies, mobile invertebrates and fish.
It depends:
- in the tank with moderate phosphates production it was very efficient, solved diatom problem in a few days, without return (it removes Si too),
- in the tank with very heavy bioload and high PO4 production, it's less efficient, even in double dose (could be because there is some speed of binding), and gets exhausted in a few months,
- the only coral, that reacted on addition of the PhosGuard, was one of the chili corals in period of the fast growth after recovery. Could be coincidence, I made massive water change and added micron filtration and carbon. Didn't risked the second time with either of these factors. The other kinds of chili (I have 3) are without problems with PhosGuard.
- used it for a few weeks in the tank with baby Maximas (3/4" Tridacnas), no ill effects were seen, grow beautifully.

Just in case ordered RowaPros for this chili coral tank, but lowering pH is a significant risk too.

i have been running carbon ever since i got my reactor this week..my algae problem is down to nothing now!!!!.i was pulling hair algae off of my overflows everyday..it was only growing in the overflow grooves..it has stopped and started receeding....i think my tank was just adjusting to the huge bioload that i dumped on it(i added 3 tangs within about a weeks time) it seems to be under control..i may end up trying a good phosphate remover in the future

Back