Phosphate reactor????

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

balogh03

I was thinking about getting one but dont know if i should...I know that it would cut down on my algae growth (wich would be nice), but will it affect my coral growth? thanks

-augustus

Not as long as you use a GFO instead of an aluminum oxide product. The key to using the GFO is low flow. This means better contact time, reduced P and less of a chance of impacting alkalinity.

Unless corals use phosphates to grow then it won't. People keep zero phosphates levels all the time and have great coral growth. Infact, they add macro algae's in their refugiums to bind up excess phosphates (and nitrates) in the water so I say go for it:D I used the Two Little Fishies Phosban reactor and was really pleased with it:)

Thanks for the quick reasponses guys:D I think i will deffinently go for it then. What would the best one be and how many gph should i run through it?

-augustus

i just been using the two lil fishies and a tiny rio i had laying around even with this tiny lil rio i have to use the valve to turn it down! im also using rowaphos...

Like I mentioned, I use the TLF phosban reactor, but in it I use the Julian Sprungs formula and a maxijet 400 to operate the thing. Just to let you know how slow the flow is, I would keep the ball valve almost closed. You want it to the point where the actual grains of the media in the reactor don't tumble into one another so it is basically a trickle:)

No problem man...I'm sure there are others phosphate reactors out there people swear by as well, but this is the only phosphate reactor I've ever used and was happy enough not to search for a replacement:)

I've been toying with the idea of getting a phosphate reactor for a long time.
Although I don't have measurable phosphate using a salifret test kit, I know these will not pick up all phosphate in the tank. My Acro growth and color are not what I would like.
Do you guys think I should try a phosphate reactor and if so what size and brand for a 240 gal reef?
Thanks for any replies.

I'v been watching Phosphate threds for a long time. I also would like to get one too. There has been a lot of good info. What size pump on thses recactors would be helpful. I'll keep watching. Did'nt mean to barge in.
Tom

Phosphates inhibit calcification. It will impede CaCO3 organisms in their growth as they will not be able to deposit to their skeletons efficiently.

From the little I understand about corals, phosphates are not needed for growth..Atleast that's what I always thought which is why we try to keep them at zero. I looked up the definition of calcification to try and understand your post fully,and this is what I got..."A process by which corals and coralline algae extracts calcium from the seawater and deposit it in the form of calcium carbonate" So basically in a nut shell, phophates prohibit corals from forming their skeletons??? :confused: Do I have that right??:)

Last edited:
So basically in a nut shell, phophates prohibit corals from forming their skeletons??? :confused: Do I have that right??:)
Pretty much. At the very least it slows it down. In general phosphates will also cause normally colorful corals top become brown/dull looking via excess zooxanthellae production.

Just watch you alklinity as most put to much flow through the units and can drop alklinity and you will see bleaching.

Back