Phosphate Reactor ?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

daytonaconnecti

well after the years long battle with green algea, trying everything, thinking of a Phosphate Reactor , thinking too much phosphate in the older rocks...ideas or sujestions

Phosban reactor worked great, at least I think it is what is making the difference. I had thick long green hair algae starting to cover a couple rocks, good size areas, and I added this http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=11586 to the sump and manually pulled what I could when I had a chance, and it is almost gone. You really need to manually pull the real thick stuff and get the detirtus out from under it.

you can build what Bulk reef supply sells for cheap. I built this set up. I used refillable cartriges from watts, but i would recommend getting the re-fillable cartridges from bulk reef supply if you don't have an outlet for them, because they will come with the melt blown filter removed and the bigger foam media holders already in them. I feed these with a maxi jet 1200

IMG_2320.jpg

is their a need to run different media in the reactor before the gfo, and how do i know i have the proper flow

Last edited:
is their a need to run different media in the reactor before the gfo, and how do i know i have the proper flow

No, and in fact you should not run multi-media with GFO (IMO). GFO needs to tumble or it turns to concrete.

IMO, it also has no value to run carbon in chamber 1 and GFO in a second inline chamber; you will forever be tweeking the flow in order to keep the GFO fluid.

Daytonna bill!!! There's no way you are still fighting this algae!! :eek: You've got some serious dedication man :) I'd look into the two little fishies phosban reactor and see how it works for you. Priced just right and doesn't require a whole lot of anything. :)

Daytonna bill!!! There's no way you are still fighting this algae!! :eek: You've got some serious dedication man :) I'd look into the two little fishies phosban reactor and see how it works for you. Priced just right and doesn't require a whole lot of anything. :)
hey man whats up, good to hear from u, iam still at it, i just got one of those reactors, going to set it up, and try that...i will have a algae free tank one day :) thinking of useing this gfo 1.75 Pounds (794 Grams) Bulk GFO High Capacity Ferric Oxide

Back