phosphate rector

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jc130b

What is a phosphate rector, and how and why would you use one? How do they work?
I have heard of a lot of people useing one of these, and just want more information.
Thanks, Jayme

Can you use a canister filter, just put the phosphate mediain the canister filter and use it like the phosphate rector?

Not really, the phos reactor hold it in a small volume area, and slow flows water thru it.
You can put phos absorber in the cannister filter, but it works better with slow flow.

Yeah...I agree with Steve. Phosphate media works that completely opposite way as carbon does. The flow running through the phosphate media is so slow it is almost like a trickle. Cannisters are usually best to run carbon seeing they have higher flow rates:)

How often do you change the phosphate media?

Krish75, What kind of pump are you using with your reactor?

when i first started using reactor i changed media with-in first month .bought cheap media i think media absorbed all it could and started seeing algae bloom. realy helps out with algae. pump with low flow rate will do because theres a valve you use to control flow.flow should be minumum could affect your p.h.this is my experiance, also learning as i go !good luck!

Its a device that can chemically bond inorganic PO4 ions in the water with a solid that can be exported at some point when you change media.

It is much like a macro algae in this way, except the macro algae is takeing both N and P.

I think its an exellent edition for a high flow skimmed tank.

How often do you change the phosphate media?

Krish75, What kind of pump are you using with your reactor?

The media is good for 3 months and once exhausted, it WON'T leach back into the system like carbon does. As for the pump, a maxi-jet400 was the reccommended pump for it. The pump puts out 106 gph, but has to be cut down quite a bit via a ball valve. Here is a link to the media as well as the suggested powerhead:)

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...=PROD&Product_Code=TLF-PHOSBAN&Category_Code=

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...PROD&Product_Code=MJ400&Category_Code=Maxijet

phosphate media can last from a day to a year depending on your phosphate levels

i always check the phosphate that comes out of my media and if still 0-.1 i leave it in the reactor

if it is over than i change the media

RE:just want more information.

Hi Jayme I thought I would jump in and my 2 cents they do a very good job like others have stated in above post They even make good copod factories as well!:eek:
I also wanted to post a couple of shots of mine in use can you see the pods?

jc130b said:
What is a phosphate rector, and how and why would you use one? How do they work?
I have heard of a lot of people useing one of these, and just want more information.
Thanks, Jayme

Krish- Thanks for the links, now all I have to do is find another spot to plug another pump into, never enough plugs where you need them.

Chadfarmer- that sounds like that would be a good way to tell if the media is good or not.

Apprentice-Thanks for the info and the pictures. Do you lose many pods when you change the media and clean the reactor?

Krish- Thanks for the links, now all I have to do is find another spot to plug another pump into, never enough plugs where you need them.

LOL...No problem, I have the same problems:p

Back