Phosphate vs. SPS

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

76Frags

Having several SPS frags die lately - not sure whats causing it. My phosphate levels are reading .5, Alkalinity is 8, salinity 1.025, Nitrate 0, Calcium 480, PH 8.3. I know the phosphates are high, but would that cause the overnight bleaching? So far this week two deepwater acro and 1 blueberry acro have died.

Any suggestions, comments?:shock:

What is your Mg level?

I assume you are using RO water? If making your own, what is your TDS reading.

I also assume the levels you gave have been constant for some time...vacilliation is not good when dealing with SPS.

I am using DI water - my TDS reading is incoming water @ 175 with my output at 0. I don't have a Mg test kit at the moment :( so I can't give you an answer on that.

You said nothing about Temperature, Flow, animals in tank.

When everything is compatible and parameters are good. I always want to see if people have copper in plumbing, a broken UV shield on Metal Halide bulb, Aquascaping-Flow, too much flow directly, etc.

Last edited:
temp is about 78-80, no fish currently in this system - frag system. Lighting is 2 250w 14K HQI. Flow is 1 sedra 350gph and 1 emperor filter (probably 300gph). This system is a 55 gal - not my main system. No substrate in the bottom of this tank, but i have a 10 gal. gravity fed container w/ liverock off to the side.

Racks are eggcrate on pvc stands. Great flow all around the tank, no dead zones

you need WAY more flow for SPS like 50X tank volume minimum
for sps the more random flow the more better
you want polyps to wave back and forth as much as possible then have some still times then back and forth
If I could get a HD video of my sps polyps you would understand better.

I agree I need more flow, but this tank is not just SPS and I didn't want to over-do the flow for the other corals. I've had SPS frags for years, but this is a new problem. I'm mainly wanting to see if anyone believes the phosphates have this kind of affect.

I like the feedback though! :)

Phosphates can block or prohibit coral growth by shielding corals from getting food and light and gas exchange. Corals eat a small amount of phosphates but again we are weighing on the factor of too much of one thing. I think Mytee is on the right track with randow flow to clean corals and suspend phosphates in water so your filters/live rock work the way they should.

did you move the frags from your established system to this empty system? This live rock your talking about is it from your existing system? That level of phosphates as far as i am concerned wont kill an SPS coral all by its self like Ed and Mytee said, i would suspect there is something else going on. like lack of flow,new live rock (if it is) leaching Nitrite, ammonia ect. those things can kill sps for sure. especially new cut frags.

Thanks again for all of the response. In my limited knowledge of the actual "chemistry" that goes into reefkeeping, I am aware that elevated phosphate slows the corals ability to deposit calcium. I have been doing months of research/reading to better understand the actual "science" behind the hobby. I have been involved in reefkeeping "successfully" now for about 14 years, and with much luck I have never had any major system crashes.
I'm experimenting more now with 2 parts, Kalk, etc., which I've never really messed with in the past. This is causing changes that I'm not familiar with - but that's not a bad thing because now I'm learning from a different angle.

I'm getting ready to order a GFO reactor from BRS, which will hopefully kick my phosphates down a lot. (.5 is pretty horrible IMO) Increased flow will come as soon as I can afford new powerheads, and I'm thinking of maybe starting up my fuge again.
So many things to do, and so little time and money to do them with! HA

Back