PhosReactor ?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Cajun Reefer

I have a major nuisance algae problem in my 90 gallon FOWLR. :eek: I'm in the process of slowly removing a Eheim 2229 wet/dry canister filter and Marineland Emperor 400 w/ Bio-wheel removed. In addition to lowering the nitrates, I'm also doing this to clean up the interior of my tank.

I'm looking to add a Nautilus PhosReactor or two containing Seachem's PhosGuard or similar product as well as activated carbon. My questions is can I run two reactors side-by-side or in-line together?:idea:

I noticed that the Nautilus PhosReactor has a recommended max flow rate of 80 gph. I thought about running a MJ400 (max flow= 106 gph) to draw water out of my aquarium into the first PhosReactor which would contain only Activated Carbon. Then from there it would flow into a second PhosReactor containing a Phosphate absorbing material before it returned to the tank.

Anyone have any suggestions? Those of you that use the Nautilus PhosReactor or PhosBan Reactor 150, do y'all regularly change out the foam discs to prevent excessive detrius buildup?

Thanks...
Dennis

I'm looking to add a Nautilus PhosReactor or two containing Seachem's PhosGuard or similar product as well as activated carbon. My questions is can I run two reactors side-by-side or in-line together

Hey Dennis!!! How's that tank coming along!!:) As for the reactor, people run phosreactors and carbon in a reactor side by side all the time. Infact, some people would add both media in the same reactor! As for your method of running it through the carbon reactor first then the phosphate reactor secondly off of the same pump should work just fine...I would think the carbon should slow down the flow enough by the time it gets to the phosphate media and if not, you can just use a small ball valve to control the flow. That's what I use on my TLF phosban reactor which I've been using for about a year now. I change my media every 2 months and never changed the round foam disc. I just rinse it out really well each time I change media and that's it. Not much can get trapped in those little things especially at such a slow flow rate:)

Krish how effective are they? I have hair algae as well but when I test my water there is no measurable phosphate so I assume the algae is getting it so there is none in the water column. With that in mind would a phosban reactor be all that effective?

Hey Krish! My tank is still looking pretty rough but I'm building up a pretty good attack plan. Hopefully, I can implement that plan before my wife kills me! She has very little patience if any! But I seem to be doing more reading and planning than acting!

However, I did add 2- Seio 1500 to it a few days ago which caused a sand storm and valley. I might have to trim it down to just 1 or at least restrict one of them. Now that my flow has gone from 2- MJ900 to 2-Seio 1500, I don't think I have one stagnant area in my aquarium! My algae looks like palm trees in a hurricane! Of course, I always seem to be one step behind. Those new nanostreams look impressive but my Seio's will do just fine!

So far my yellow tang has not shown any signs of ICH for a few weeks but I know its just lying dormant. I'm setting up a 55 gallon QT tomorrow, Saturday, to move it over the following weekend since I'll be out-of-town this week. I don't trust my wife with water changes. Then the big task of scrapping and weedeating that darn algae off my live rock which I should be able to safely do since the tang will be in QT for 4-6 weeks. Then I'll get another pair of clownfish and slowly begin to slowly re-populate my aquarium.

Thanks for your input on the reactor! :D That'll be my next project over the next 2 weeks. Then I'm going to start planning some type of sump / refugium to place in the bottom of my stand. I just found some good info on the sump /refugium setup at the following locations:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-01/gt/index.php
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10264

I'm hoping to post some nice looking pics in about 2 months! Too horrifying and embarrassing right now! As always, thanks for your help and this forum!

-Dennis
:cool:

Krish how effective are they? I have hair algae as well but when I test my water there is no measurable phosphate so I assume the algae is getting it so there is none in the water column. With that in mind would a phosban reactor be all that effective?

Well, put it like this...I've never had a better looking tank since having it up and running for a while. I use this one

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...=PROD&Product_Code=TLF-PHOSREC&Category_Code=

with this pump

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...PROD&Product_Code=MJ400&Category_Code=Maxijet

and this media

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...=PROD&Product_Code=TLF-PHOSBAN&Category_Code=

Hey Krish! My tank is still looking pretty rough but I'm building up a pretty good attack plan. Hopefully, I can implement that plan before my wife kills me! She has very little patience if any! But I seem to be doing more reading and planning than acting!

However, I did add 2- Seio 1500 to it a few days ago which caused a sand storm and valley. I might have to trim it down to just 1 or at least restrict one of them. Now that my flow has gone from 2- MJ900 to 2-Seio 1500, I don't think I have one stagnant area in my aquarium! My algae looks like palm trees in a hurricane! Of course, I always seem to be one step behind. Those new nanostreams look impressive but my Seio's will do just fine!

So far my yellow tang has not shown any signs of ICH for a few weeks but I know its just lying dormant. I'm setting up a 55 gallon QT tomorrow, Saturday, to move it over the following weekend since I'll be out-of-town this week. I don't trust my wife with water changes. Then the big task of scrapping and weedeating that darn algae off my live rock which I should be able to safely do since the tang will be in QT for 4-6 weeks. Then I'll get another pair of clownfish and slowly begin to slowly re-populate my aquarium.

Thanks for your input on the reactor! That'll be my next project over the next 2 weeks. Then I'm going to start planning some type of sump / refugium to place in the bottom of my stand. I just found some good info on the sump /refugium setup at the following locations:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-01/gt/index.php
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/...ad.php?t=10264

I'm hoping to post some nice looking pics in about 2 months! Too horrifying and embarrassing right now! As always, thanks for your help and this forum!

-Dennis

Sounds great Dennis...You'll get there:D

Krish,

I was just thinking and not doing....again! Do you forsee any pressure or "head" problems with that MaxiJet 400? I'm looking to set it up in a pre-skimmer box in my display tank and run the 2 - PhosReactors in the bottom cabinet. Then it'll have to flow 2-3 ft upwards back into the tank.

-Dennis

I don't think you'd get much out of that pump. They usually run in close proximity to the reactor as they aren't really a pressure rated pump, but really just a powerhead. If you are keeping a sump, just pump from the sump into the reactors and then back into the sump. That's how I've always done mine...:)

lol ya they're not pressure rated though they can pump some, i have a maxi 1200 running at like 4ft head pressure what not, it's pumping like 50-100gph i'm geussing

Back