Photography Critique Threads

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Sigma 105, tamron 90mm, (beaker bob and marintang do a good job with the tamron) or the mighty Nikkor 105mm macro.

I use a nikkor 50mm prime with close up filters and get pretty good results.

I have the af-s nikkor lense and the af-s nikkor 55-200mm. What is the diff. between these lense and the ones you listed, and are these lense capable of taking macro shots?

They could probably take some macro shots if you got some close-up filters. The best lenses for macro are fixed, meaning no zoom. The fixed (prime or macro) are much sharper then zoom lenses because all the glass inside is stationary, and does not slide around. Your kit lenses are basically the bottom of the barrel from Nikon, nothing wrong with that since you have to start somewhere. What happens with the macro lenses is they can take pictures much closer to the subject, and usually have a 1:1 output ratio. This means that what you are taking of close up is kind of like laying the subject directly onto the sensor. So all in all, you can take macro shots with your current lenses but will need close up filters to get you closer to the subject. The filters do further distort the picture (beyond what your zoom lenses already do) so it will be tough to get real nice macro shots like you see some of the others posting up.

The other thing that those guys are doing is post picture processing, this is time consuming and can be expensive to get into, but all in all it is worth the time invested. Once you get the hang of it, that goes a lot faster.

thanks BIG T now I gotta make a decision on which one to pick. So what do you think is the better of the 2 you told me about. I'll do a little research on the 2 myself. I just need some guidance from some people that has used either one or the other or both. thanks for the help.

The nikon 105 is definitely the best lens, the sigma and tamron's are comparable to each other. There are a few on the board here using the tamron 90mm macro and seem to like them. Take a look at some of beaker bob's pictures, they are amazing!

Yeah I was looking at that nikon 105mm micro lens also. I was wondering if it would fit on the d40? That thing also cost almost twice as much as the sigma and tamron so I got a big decision to make.

ReefferMan,
Several suggestions:
1) the background is distracting from the main subject. Sometimes it is hard to get around this, but consider putting a black piece of plastic behind the subject if the background is too "busy".

2) Remember the "rule of 3". The most pleasing pictures are divided into three zones.

3) Framing. Try to frame the picture with something keepinmg in mind the rule of 3. For instance, here is a cropped picture of the original. It is has a an upright growth frame seperating the left side from the right and the picture is divided into 3 basic areas.

4) Sharpness: I think the picture could be better if the central stalk was sharper than either side, since it is the most prominent portion of the picture.

DSC02337_editeda.jpg

roscoe:
I use a Tamron 90 mm macro lens on my Nikon. The Nikon 105mm Micro lens is probably the best lens, but the IMO the bang for the buck is with the Tamron. Take a look at this review:
http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/non-nikon_articles/tamron/90_macro/index.html

have to join image shack or photo bucket to post big pics you join the site for free then they host your pics for free and u put them here and look like a pro

very new to RF i have uploaded a few pic but cant find them on here. any suggestions on where to look or what i am doing wrong?

Back