Photography from Meeting

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hey Angie, I still have the originals of the clam, I am thinking of a desktop background!!!! Do you want me to e-mail one of them to you?

Oh, thank you for having me, I always appreciate the hospitality and BS. :):):):)

Charlie, that would be great!!! Just email them to Michael's email and we'll go from there....:)

Well I finally got around to playing with my wife's camera, with the tricks we talked about at the meeting. I think the biggest difference came from figuring out how to set the custom white balance. Anyhow here are a couple of the decent looking photo's I took so let me know what you think. Oh and I definetly need to find a viewer for taking photo's of the clams!!

DSC_0590.jpg

DSC_0584.jpg

DSC_0587.jpg

Are the second and third pic of the same coral? Looks like the second pic is a closer shot, but with too high of an F stop. Lower the Fstop or slow down the shutter, to get more light.

Other than that, pics look great. The 3rd pic, maybe an A. valida or more likely Garf Bonsai on the right and Red Planet on the left? If so, color rendition is great!! Looks like white balance is working out for you.

Are the second and third pic of the same coral? Looks like the second pic is a closer shot, but with too high of an F stop. Lower the Fstop or slow down the shutter, to get more light.

Other than that, pics look great. The 3rd pic, maybe an A. valida or more likely Garf Bonsai on the right and Red Planet on the left? If so, color rendition is great!! Looks like white balance is working out for you.

Thats pretty much exactly what I did, the last two are the same coral, I took the one with a higher f-stop and faster shutter to get the night shot effect, showing how green the polyps glow under moon light, then dropped them back down to get a perfect match of the color, and yes the right is garf purple and left is ORA red planet.

Well I wouldn't call it wisdom, more like ability to google 'how to set white balance', anyhow all I did was got into the white balance options under the Manual mode on my wife's Nikon D60 then I took a picture of a white paper plate under my lights and set that picture as the custom white balance. It was actually much simpler than I thought it would be.

These two pictures are from the tank in the front room. My camera is a Nikon D70s with a Sigma 105 Macro lens. The shutter speed was 1/125, f3.3 ISO 400. The white balance in the first picture was at the florescent setting at 0 and the second one was at -3.

Last edited:
Since I missed the meeting do to incompetent schedule managment (on my part). ReturnOfSid was kind enough to give me some pointers. They're not fancy but the fact that I can now take pics that aren't majorly blurry is a huge step for me! Using a Nikon point-and-shoot.
tank_9_09068.jpg
tank_9_09063.jpg
tank_9_09041.jpg
tank_9_09069.jpg

Last edited:
Great job Julie!! On those last two pictures, if you have a manual mode, set your Aperture to a higher numbered Fstop. This will allow less light into the sensor, and the Kenya Tree and Hairy mushroom won't be quite as over exposed. Another option is to set focus and exposure, on the Kenya Tree, by pressing the shutter part way, while the focus point is the Kenya Tree. This will tell the camera to focus on the Kenya Tree, and expose the entire picture, based on the lighting of the Kenya Tree. This option won't work unless you have a camera that allows you to set a specific focus and exposure point.

There was no manual mode on my Nikon Coolpix L4. So I snuck out and got a Canon Powershot A100 IS. Seem to have better luck :

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

Back