Pickle Lime results

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Fishead77

Dork
After reading forums on kalkwasser I started using pickle lime and the results on the my ph,alk and calcium are amazing. My ph has gone from 8.0 to 8.4. I could never get it much above 8.0 . I had been adding buffer and calcium on a regular basis, chasing the correct parameters. Last time I checked alk was 8.0 and calcium was 390. I added 2 tsp. of turbo calcium and retested at 420. Everything looks happy. I am happy not chasing the parameters, justing adding lime water to my topoff.:)

I use ESV Kalkwasser in my top off and everything is starting to finally starting to come together.
What is ESV kalkwasser? How much does it cost? Using the kalkwasser has made the system so stable it's easy to take care of, that makes me happy:cool: (< this is me being happy)
be care full when top off amounts change when you buffer top off, can spike ph
Evaporation seems to be pretty consistant. With the change of seasons coming it's something to keep an eye on. Thx.

Last time I checked alk was 8.0 and calcium was 390. I added 2 tsp. of turbo calcium and retested at 420.

At 420ppm Ca you should have an alkalinity level of 3.0 mg/L....you may want to check that alkalinity again...unless you are measuring it in dKH, in whick case 8 dKH is right on the money for 420ppm Ca...

Originally Posted by MarineTeng
be care full when top off amounts change when you buffer top off, can spike ph

Evaporation seems to be pretty consistant. With the change of seasons coming it's something to keep an eye on.

If you are letting the kalk settle out, and are dripping at a slow rate at the right time (early morning) you should have no problems with pH spikes. These will tend to occur when a large amount of kalk is added quickly to the tank. Dripping should not present this problem...

Glad to hear the kalk is working out for you:D

MikeS

I'm glad kalk has helped! I use Warner Marine Kalkwasser and love it.

At 420ppm Ca you should have an alkalinity level of 3.0 mg/L....you may want to check that alkalinity again...unless you are measuring it in dKH, in whick case 8 dKH is right on the money for 420ppm Ca...

If you are letting the kalk settle out, and are dripping at a slow rate at the right time (early morning) you should have no problems with pH spikes. These will tend to occur when a large amount of kalk is added quickly to the tank. Dripping should not present this problem...

Glad to hear the kalk is working out for you:D

MikeS
Yeah Mike, that is the dkh level. I am letting it settle before adding it to my ATO container. I'm not dripping it but letting my auto top off pump it in as needed to replace evaporation water. I know this is not the best way to deliver it (slow drip is the best) but it is way to convienient. I haven't seen any problems with the creatures or the parameters. I'm adding it to a 50g sump on a 90g tank.

Yeah Mike, that is the dkh level. I am letting it settle before adding it to my ATO container. I'm not dripping it but letting my auto top off pump it in as needed to replace evaporation water. I know this is not the best way to deliver it (slow drip is the best) but it is way to convienient. I haven't seen any problems with the creatures or the parameters. I'm adding it to a 50g sump on a 90g tank.

Sounds like it is nice and balanced out between alk and Ca...

the auto top-off shouldn't cause pH spikes either, I would imagine a reletively small amount of kalk is being added at any given time. The only worry I have with auto topoffs and kalk vs. a manual drip system, is if the auto topoff system fails. I've seen plenty of threads where people have had them fail and dump large amounts of kalk into the tank, causing very high pH and a calcium snowstorm in the tank. My advice would be to clean all the parts of the auto top-off regularly with vinager to remove calcium carbonate buildup, and keep it in good working order...

MikeS

Sounds like it is nice and balanced out between alk and Ca...

the auto top-off shouldn't cause pH spikes either, I would imagine a reletively small amount of kalk is being added at any given time. The only worry I have with auto topoffs and kalk vs. a manual drip system, is if the auto topoff system fails. I've seen plenty of threads where people have had them fail and dump large amounts of kalk into the tank, causing very high pH and a calcium snowstorm in the tank. My advice would be to clean all the parts of the auto top-off regularly with vinager to remove calcium carbonate buildup, and keep it in good working order...

MikeS

I wondered about that. After only one month the top off container and everything in it (pump and low water switch etc..) is coated with the white lime. You say use vinegar to clean it, sounds good. Thx :)

Back