Pico reef?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

aquarookie

Pure Poison :)
Hi all,

I have had a "successful" reef tank for several years now, and I seem to be most successful with the 50-90 gallon range. But I would LOVE to try a pico reef. Is it a bad idea for someone who does not have a lot of free time? How much more maintenance is it? Would I just scoop out water from the big tank for water changes, or should I mix new water for the tiny tank? Any advice on how to set it up to be as low maintenance as possible? I see tiny (2-3 gallon) tanks online which have just a light and a HOB filter, is that enough if the water changes are frequent? Or would something more elaborate make life easier? Any other thoughts?

BTW, I have a 7 gallon glass bow front-I don't know if that qualifies as a pico or if it's a nano... Should I do open top or hood? Sand or bare bottom? (I've tried both in my larger tanks and both worked, but I don't know what's best for a small tank). I have no need to stuff it to the gills with critters, but I would love to have it looking nice with a variety of zoas, rics and small LPS (when they grow out I can transfer them to my main tank).

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
You will want to use fresh made water for water changes, but you only have to do a gallon at a time. So it's really not much work. I have a 3 gallon with an open top. I do have to add a little water in it every day. I have a 1/2 gallon jug near it with RO/DI water in it, so when I check on it every day I just add a little. I have a very small amount of sand in mine (maybe 1/4 inch), I like the look of sand. It's a great zoa and mushroom tank. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. What kind of light is over your 3 gallon, and how often do you change the water?

It's a 9w PC. The bulb is near the end of life and I'm looking at a stronger light. I do water changes every two weeks (I do them the same time I do a water change for my 125 gal, so it doesn't add any extra work :)), I had a fish in there at one time and I did water changes every week then.

Here is mine...
007-6.jpg

It's a 4G Finnex, with Nova Extreem Pro T5 light. 36 Watts I believe, they do require daily attention. And weekly water changes. But, It's not too bad, long as you look at it everyday, then you'll be o.k.

Where'd you get the Finnex? is that an online-only thing, or are there local shops (as in anywhere around the Sound; Seattle, Tacoma, Issaquah, and everything in between) that have them?

Where'd you get the Finnex? is that an online-only thing, or are there local shops (as in anywhere around the Sound; Seattle, Tacoma, Issaquah, and everything in between) that have them?
Yeah, I got it from an online vendor. Aquacave.com Love the tank.

I have a 3 gallon JBJ Picotope, I've run it completely stock and it is fine, the biggest thing is evaporation.
_MG_3917copy.jpg

This time when I set it up I drilled it and ran a sump, mainly just to get all the equipment out of the display tank and to make topping off easier but having a 10g sump doesn't really make it a pico anymore :(
_MG_9256.png

I know Blue Sierra in Issaquah has some JBJ Picotopes but I bought mine from www.drsfostersmith.com

I like the picotope, too, thinkin' of getting one cos I've got some credit at Blue Sierra. Put somethin' cute n' little in it.

Got a ten-gallon half-moon as my nano (without any of the stock equipment LOL--halide, bish!)... Does that count as a "pico"? LOL! COS I'M STICKIN' TO CALLIN' IT A NANO!

Oh, it's going to have a WM H1 skimmer (rated to 75 gallons or so, I'd say to 30 but I'm into "overskimming") and a thin sandbed, 1/2" or so. Lots of flow, 150 watt halide. Weekly water changes, 10-15%, feeding of corals and a few tiny fish. IMO, that's the way to go.

BLACK background. :D I hate blue-back for reef, as well as no bkg... Personal opinion, of course.

Oh, it's going to have a WM H1 skimmer (rated to 75 gallons or so, I'd say to 30 but I'm into "overskimming") and a thin sandbed, 1/2" or so. Lots of flow, 150 watt halide. Weekly water changes, 10-15%, feeding of corals and a few tiny fish. IMO, that's the way to go.

BLACK background. :D I hate blue-back for reef, as well as no bkg... Personal opinion, of course.
70Watt MH would be too much.... You'll need to give tank occupants sunglasses!!!!!
Holy hell girl!!!

You're crazy! Halide rocks, DUH! :D ;) And it's an 18" tall tank, not a standard shallow $10 ten.

To give you an idea, I had a 250 over a 26 bowfront; same height, just wider. :cool: , indeed! :)

To newer reefers, 70 watt would be ideal. Better PAR than anything. I suppose T-5's are cool, but you need a bunch of them.

Last edited:
You're crazy! Halide rocks, DUH! :D ;) And it's an 18" tall tank, not a standard shallow $10 ten.

To give you an idea, I had a 250 over a 26 bowfront; same height, just wider. :cool: , indeed! :)

To newer reefers, 70 watt would be ideal. Better PAR than anything. I suppose T-5's are cool, but you need a bunch of them.
Lol. T5's are just what I could find at the time... I want to do LED's but Nanotuners has not released the new fixture yet for pico setups. :)

I do like T5's; I just like halide so much more! :D LED's are neat, too.

Cooling = no issue: fan blowing across the surface. Top off every 2-3 days, maybe sometimes daily, NP. Also it's a clip-on pendant. I'll get some pics soon.

Nice setups. Tiny reef tanks look so neat :). I have a T5 fixture but it is twice as long as my tank, I wish I could cut it in half, LOL. And a MH seems a bit overkill for a 7 gallon zoanthid tank!

Light is fine on the corals.. My dead skimmer, on the other hand, is NOT. GRR @ dying $120 echino + dead appleberry & dead orange Pavona maldivensis. Life sucks sometimes. My damsel was freaking nipping them, too! While still alive! :mad: I'm thinking of getting a cool angler to eat his ass, but then it'd eat my sharknose goby *and* I couldn't have any of the pompom crabs and stuff I want. They're expensive retail, though, so may I'll just get the damned angler.

For my pico I would say that maintence is really low. I do about a 1-2g water change every week and have an autotop off that dosses kalkwasser. Other than that I feed the corals 1-2 times a week (no fish right now). It's really pretty easy. My 29g (rest in pieces) was a lot more work to maintain...but it was also a much bigger and more established reef tank...

I've had 3 tanks now that were 7 gallons and under and can say that they are not any more work than a larger tank.

I ran a 7 gallon bowfront tank with one fish and a ton of corals in it with dual 32W pc lights for a total of 64W. It was nice and didn't get hot at all, especially considering I never ran fans on it. I performed a weekly water change on that one.

I've also ran a 3 gallon pico with a dual 9 watt pc set up without any heat issues. Ran fans across the top during the summer months and temp stayed at 79. Performed water changes twice a week and never had any issues.

Currently I swapped out the 3 gallon for a 5 gallon to test a few of my non photosynthetic corals as well as mini anemones. Easier to target feed in the tank without fish or hermits. Currently running a single 32W bulb and temps stay at 77-78.5 without fans. I have put a 70MH on and temp when up to about 81. Have yet to have any issues with algae probably due to the fact that tank is fishless. I perform a water change at least once a week but usually when I am doing a water change in one of my other tanks I will do a 2 gallon water change in this one at the same time.

Good luck with the pico or nano tank and I think you'll have just as much fun with it as you do with your larger tank.
Alex

Back