Pico Tanks, share your knowledge.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

boosted306

I have started a 2.5 gallon pico tank with LS/LR and will get some coral once it gets more age and stability but want to know more. I have a Fluval 1 filter that circulates my water and 1.25 pounds of LR and 2.25 pounds of LS, is this enough filtration (biological and mechanical)? I ask because it does have an inhabitant, a little guy named Sir Pois' son, which is french for "fish." I was told that it is a green clown goby and he is the size of my pinky nail. Also, I am wanting good flow to make corals happy and grow well, should I put a Koralia Nano in this little guy? I know that would take up some valuable real-estate but I think I need something, any suggestions?

Lastly, share your knowledge, experience, and stories you've heard of the problems I might have. My tank does not evaporate so a watch on salinity isn't necessary.

I just read that the minimum tank size for a clown goby is 10 gallons. While this one is very small is it still okay in the pico?

boosted, thats awesome i seen a few in here its pretty interesting, i wish i time to mantain one. good luck!!!!

Carlos, it really isn't bad. I took 2.5 gallons of water from my larger tank along with LS. It didn't really cycle at first then I had a bad case of cyano in it and treated it with some stuff. After that for whatever reason I had a massive hard cycle. So I reseeded the LS and added the LR now the tank is stable. I take one cup out each week and replace with new. It is a lot easier than I could have ever imagined. Only problem is with salt creep around the glass cover.

I had a 3 gallon pico on my desk at work for about a year before I upgraded it to a 12 gallon. There is a link in my signature with the tank progress. It was definately a challenge, but I kind of miss it and am thinking about going back to the smaller tank from the aquapod.

For flow, I had a powerhead connected to a spray bar that was hidden by the rock. This allowed for good flow without having a visible powerhead taking up room in the tank.

I would go with at least 3-4 pounds of LR in order to get good bio filtration. You don't want things going south in a tank this size because it spirals out of control real fast due to the low water volume.

I have seen your thread a time or two. It was very nice. Mine is going to be similar. I am going to do purple tipped frogspawn, mushrooms, zoanthids, greenstars, xenia, and maybe a piece from my kenya tree.

I think that I may see about a KNano for flow. My only concern would be the new green clown goby.

Back