Pigmy Angels in reef tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MrMoo

I have a reef tank set up with both soft and LPS corals clams - 135 gal. Can I put a Pigmy angel or a Coral Beauty angel in the tank? I'm getting different info from different sources.

Welcome to RF. There is alot help here from very knowlegable people. Just wait alittle and you get an answer. You might also check the marine fish board.

I have a Pacific Pygmy in my reef and he has never caused any trouble, my tank has sps, lps, clam, anenomes, 2 cleaner shrimp, 2 E crabs a pair of clowns and a purple tang. The only problem that I have with my pygmy is he is ugly but his personality outweighs his looks so he is a keeper :D My pygmy loves to have the cleaner shrimp clean his sides, at first I thought he was harassing the shrimp but they seem to know what he is doing and they must like it to. I saw one of these http://www.thatpetplace.com/LiveFis...Pygmy+Angel+Fish/T1/L91+0007+0150/Detail.aspx at Denny's Pet World and the color was brilliant

Last edited:
Most reef safe fish are safe unless you do not feed them. Sometimes a fish will get a bite of coral while trying to eat food and never stop eating coral. I had a bad experience with Flame Angels. One got a taste of a SPS with food and trained the other to do the same. So its always luck of the draw.

In all my reef tanks which have for the most part been sps tanks, I have had various species of centropyge angels. I've had flames, coral beauties, cherubs and lastly my false lemonpeel. I have never had 1 of these fish develope a taste for my corals or clams. I do feed my fish twice daily but whether that has anything to do with it or not I'm not sure.

I do know as nice as some of the dwarfs are it's nice to be able to keep them..

Thanks for your input. I hate to put a fish in the tank and not be able to get it out if I have to. Several years ago I had a 75g reef set up. I had a Coral Beauty and a Cherub (Pigmy) angle. Had no trouble with either. I've just heard that these fish are not reef safe.

Coral Beauty

I have a Coral Beauty in my 55 gallon with soft corals, LPS, SPS and he doesn't bother any of them. He likes to graze on algae... that's about it.

MrMoo, I have a Coral Beauty in my 100 gallon reef. It is mostly SPS, but I have a couple of LPS, softies, and a clam. I have not had any problems with my coral beauty. Every once and a while, I will see it nip at my pumping xenia. The xenia does not seem to be bothered by it though. I feed my fish a couple of times a day, so maybe this is what keeps it from going after my corals.

Back