pinched mantle update

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cottam411

2 days ago gave the deresa clam a second fwd this time 35 minutes still dont look good. mantle on one side still down 1/2 inch clam opens between 1/4 inch and sometimes about 1 inch just does not look happy. so what next wait and see or redip in how many days also will other clams catch this and if a clam dies will its shell be open or closed thanks

If it dies it will be open, the muscles that hold it closed will relax. I dont know a thing about pinched mantle. Sorry no help there.

i wouldnt do another FWD, its very stressful, do you have any pics? can you describe what the clam looks like and why you think its PM?

Last edited:
sorry my cameras quality is terrible so no picture but i looked at a few other posts with pinched mantle looks identical .its a 4 inch deresa had it and a gigas,crocea for 6 months deresa developed this about 1 week ago nothing else near it to sting,salinity1.025,calc450,temp78.5and under 500watts metal halides everything else thriving so quite sure pinched mantle

cottam411 - I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. I think I did a FW dip up to 45 minutes and still had the PM return. The only difference is my clams looked much better after the dips. I don't remember from the other thread...are you running carbon? That helped out chris&barb's pinched mantle. I'm curious if you are using any type of phosphate remover?

I've always had problems with clams. As a matter of fact i lost three one time in a week and a half. But i didn't do the smart thing like you did and asked the people on Reef Frontiers What to do. I wish you lots of luck and i hope your clam makes it!

just came home from work clam looks better mantle is down still1/4 inch but looks like it syphoning good yes i do use about 2 cups carbon changed monthly and also use phosban but have not changed it in about 2 months no hair algae gonna feed tank phytoplankton so far so good

I'd try bowl feeding this guy for a few days. If hes not opening all the way he's going to starve. Dosing the tank with phyto will not be very effective.

Don

so this isnt a new clam? change the 2 cups of carbon for about 8 or 10 cups if you can and put some carbon on the out flow of the phosphate reactor if you are using one

well clam looks much better mantle is now extended to top of shell except couple small spots where where pinching was worse clam is now fully open and syphoning well other clams show no signs of pm about all i did was my regular wednesday 8 gal water change ,rinse filters and changed carbon but just 2 cups there are so many mixed reviews on carbon my tank water is very much up to par i am pretty picky about my maintenance i will post back in a week with an update or earlier if there is a change for the worse thanks for showing some interest

Back