pinched mantle

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cottam411

hi i am new to this site have 4 inch deresa with pinched mantle tried freshwater dip for 15 min 4 days ago looks the same should i try for longer and if i use iodine dip how much of the kent tech-i should i use also will my other clams get this thanks for your help

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

I lost two clams to Pinched Mantle. It was very frustrating for me. Have you read through this thread yet? Pinched Mantle - it is a very long thread, but you can see all of the things I tried....freshwater dips, iodine dips, and metronidazole. Maxx had luck treating his clams, and I think he combined his with a long freshwater dip and metronidazole....I'd have to check the thread linked above. How long have you had the clam, and when did it start pinching? How long have your other clams been in the system?

Do you have a picture of the clam? I would not recommend iodine. Normally with PM, a FWD should be at least 25 minutes IOE.
What is the temp in your tank?

i had been fighting PM for months, by running a large amount of carbon in a flow through container it went away over night

sorry dont have a picture but positive on pinched mantle just got home clam is 3/4 open but mantle still down 1/4 inch gonna try 30 min dip keeping fingers crossed

cottam,
I was dipping my two croceas for 60 minutes, and the PM returned.

Like Nikki said, I wound up combining lowered salinity, (1.012-1.015) and metronidazole treatments. One clam made i, the other didnt.

Nick

Back