Pinched Mantle

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Small update....I received my Metronidazole today. I'm making up some new water for the QT, and I'll start treatment tomorrow.

Nikki,

Just wanted to give you an update. have been treating with Metronidazole for a few days now and some of the clams are looking better but this morning some started to spawn. :mad: If this happens, I would suggest doing a 30% watrer change but wait until they get through with the spawn.

More to come later.

i have been treating my clams since sunday. they are in a 10g hospital tank with a hot filter and a heater with a 250w mh light. I started out with 750mg and have been doing a 30% water change everyday and adding another 250mg. So far everybody looks good. A little less pinching and a little less slime. hopeing for the best. good luck everybody.

thanks for the pic. do you think they spawned because of the treatment? self preservation? or are they just a little frisky:D

After a spawn, it is always best to do a water change and add some carbon to help clean up the water.

The medication could have triggered the spawn or possible the major water change I did after the 3rd treatment.

Is it advisable to use carbon during treatment after a spawn? I would be concerned with removing the metronidazole?

In my case I had no choice, the water was really foul. I don't think many will have a spawn like I did as I was dosing fairly heavy.

Even if the medication is what caused the spawn, which it most likely is, I don't think it is any reason for us to be too worried about the medication being very "dangerous". IME, it doesn't take much stress to trigger a spawning event. My clams have spawned several times, all stress induced. The last time was just from scraping coralline off the acrylic in my clam tank.

Barry, why do you recommend the water change and carbon after a spawn? I am guessing the sperm has the potential to rapidly lower O2 levels, especially when several clams go off at the same time. I suppose it could also cause a spike in the nitrogen cycle. FWIW, I've never done anything special after my clams have spawned. I always figured it would be good food for the corals. I suppose it is always better to be safe than sorry though.

Barry, why do you recommend the water change and carbon after a spawn

In our systems where we can have anywhere from 30- 250 clams in a system and a few start to spawn and someother follow suit, then it can really foul the water. The eggs is not the issue but the sperm can really mess things up, even to the point of clugging up a skimmer. :( If I had a small system and one or 2 spawned then I might not get to excited but 50+ spawn. :( Just like to keep our systems clean and water pure. :)

so far soo good. The treatment really doesn't seem to have a negative effect. I was really worried at first but it seems to be working and the clams seem to be o.k with the medication. good luck and everything should be o.k.

I started treatment last night. I took some before pics so I can see the progression.

the mad reefer - are your clams showing improvement?

Discouraging Update

Well - my clams are not looking better, in fact the pinching is worse since being in the QT with metronidazole. I'm not sure if the protozoans are trying to protect themselves by either getting into the tissues, or if they are secreting something, which is irritating the mantle even more? The clams have a lot of mucous coming off of the mantle. Similar to the mucous present when they are curling & pinching, but there is a lot more slime present. Here are the pre QT pics and the pics from day 1 of QT:

Clam #1 & #2 prior to QT with metronidazole:

clam1premetron.jpg

clam2premetron.jpg

Here they are Day 1 of Treatment with metronidazole in QT:

clam1metronday1.jpg

clam2metronday1.jpg

Back