Pix of Giant hairy mushroom feeding like the pig that he is :)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Can anyone please ID this for me? I'm freaking out since i think he can easily eat one of my dragonettes!!! they walk on it!!!

That is cool!:cool:
I'd I.D. it as One Giant hairy mushroom, only because I've never seen that particular type.:p

I had a mushroom similar to that 'once upon a time'. From everything I read about them, they are capable of eating a fish (like the Blenny in the pictures); however, they are not sticky like an anemone, and if the fish has any sense what-so-ever, the fish will vacate the premises before it's too late.

I never lost a fish to mine!

Vicki

wholly crap :) did yours close up pretty slow? whole thing takes 2-3 minutes?

Yes, it took several minutes before the mushroom was closed up; again giving the fish plenty of time to get out! Having this happen became a pretty common occurrence too.

Vicki

Great pics!
Hey seamonster, I also have one of these and have seen it called an Atlantic green mushroom. I have one that is about 14" in diameter. I have never seen mine try to eat a fish even though my clowns have tried to host with it. I feed mine a couple times a week, any frozen food is eagerly devoured.
The one Vicki posted looks like a common Rodactus and is a well known fish eater.

That things a Monster.... Its MONSTROUSLY HUGE:exclaim::exclaim::exclaim::exclaim:

It's 5" diameter. 2 months ago it was 2.5"!!!!
it has a baby who does the same thing.

I hear you can put it on a cutting board and use a pizza slicer to frag it!!! I might try that with the baby since they are like $50 on liveaquaria.com

I have a total of 10 of these in different sizes. They keep making new ones. I'll have to take some into the store for credit.

I've never lost a fish to mine, but I did see the remains of a porcelain crab coming out of the mouth of one.

Back