Placement of Powerheads in a 50 gal Reef?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ReefJeff

Hello,

I have 4 powerheads in my new 50 gal reef tank and was wondering what would be a good placement for them? I do have liverock and corals (not many, but a start with a brain coral, a few pom-pom corals and 3 anemones), all at different levels in the tank.

Right now I have 1 powerhead on the top-left glass (in back of tank) pushing water to the rightside, I have another on the mid-left back (in back of tank) glass pushing water to the right, I have one on the top-right glass (also in back of the tank) pushing water to the left, and I have one in the top-right front of the tank pushing water to the left side. I also have a powerhead on the protein skimmer, but not sure if that matters.

I have all powerheads on a wavemaker outlet. Is this sufficient water movement for a 50 gal new reef (2 months old, was an established reef)?

I am running T-5 lighting and an aquaclear 70 on the back for filtration.

Thank you in advance for your comments and help!

ReefJeff

I think your powerhead placement is good to provide good random flow.

With that said, we have no idea what the output of your power heads are, so you could be too little flow, too much flow, or just right depending on their output. The powerhead on your protein skimmer is only pushing water through your skimmer and is not causing any major flow in your tank.

Depending on how your set up is, you may want to leave one or two power heads going all the time and have the other ones on the wave maker.

Just my thoughts.

I think your powerhead placement is good to provide good random flow.

With that said, we have no idea what the output of your power heads are, so you could be too little flow, too much flow, or just right depending on their output. The powerhead on your protein skimmer is only pushing water through your skimmer and is not causing any major flow in your tank.

Depending on how your set up is, you may want to leave one or two power heads going all the time and have the other ones on the wave maker.

Just my thoughts.

Thank you for the advice! I believe the output is good as I bought this setup from a person who really knew about reef tanks. I just wanted to make sure that my placement was good because I was not sure exactly how water should flow in a reef tank, in one direction, or in 2 directions.

Thank you again,

ReefJeff

actually, you would get better flow if you set your powerheads up in a gyre cofiguration, ie; all powerheads pushing the water the same direction.
random flow is completely over-rated, and when it comes to helping corals respirate, which is one of the main reasons for high flow in the first place, your better off with a gyre.

also, almost more importantly, is that it is the CORRECT type of flow, ie; not small finger size jets of high speed water slamming into your corals. these are the typical type of powerhead outlets and closed loop outlets and is the reason why I always go with the wide outlet/high flow tunze/koralia/vortec style powerheads. your exact flow requirements are determined by the type of corals you keep. lps/softies typically do best in 20x-30x your total display tank volume per hour, SPS requires more like 50x-100x your total display volume per hour.

sooo, take out your powerheads and find out how many gph they are pushing and what type they are. :)

with out going in to crazy detail... my first thought is you should check out tunze.. and make 4 in to 2. and or one..

several power heads means more power consumption larger better quality power heads will reduces or eliminate this question... then thers a closed loop...

one single large pump providing all the movement you need

i remember being right where you are right now.. with a new tank... and i love that feeling..

my story is... a 75g with two tunzes... one larger one in the left corner farther away from the over flow and return.. one smaller one in the left corner... both pointed at a 45degree to the front glass at each other

dont get caught up in the number game.. take it slow and stedy... and let the hole hobbie become a life long sport

Back