Planing stages of "THE L"

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Myteemouse

NOTHING
SO. We are gonna do a true "L" in place of the two tanks that are on the stand now. It will fit perfect on the stand with no modding at all gonna be 22 inches tall and all glass. gonna build it meself! here is a top down drawing of it.
All I really need to buy equipment wise is one more MH ballast and a bulb. And maybe some more LED's to match what I already have. I have the rest! What do you think!?!?!?

Ltank.jpg

So I see we are going forward with this? I think that looks good. Will your current stand have enough room to allow for the external overflow? I would consider doing some small braces on the bottom of the overflow to the back pane for the size overflow box you are talking about. The design I used works awesome. You can literally see just the top layer of water being skimmed off as it overflows.

Also eurobrace top and bottom?

So it looks like using your longest legs as a guide to achieve a safety factor of 7.6 you would need a glass thickness og 16mm side and 22mm bottom( or use a solid bottom with foam.)

16mm. UUU convert that... LOL

BTW the top and bottom euro bracing will actually cross the 32inch pane over the tank to the 72" pane and RVT'ed to the other euro brace going across the top of the 72" side.

his tank but a bit smaller me thinks!
Sweet tank man, when r u gonna start this project? Pics are a deff!

My calculator does it in MM because 1/2" glass can actually span about a 3mm difference based on the manf. With the bracing on it you'll be money with "1/2" glass

I would love to see who's tank your talking about to check out any issues they may have had?!?!?!

His tank. Blew apart and washed him down the hill into the lake. Just kidding. I think there is still a thread called building the beast or something like that.
Dec 2003 rc tank of the month.

Don

Last edited:
What is the reasoning that all the closed loop "outs" near the exterior perimeter of the tank?
Would they not be easier to hide in the rocks closer to the center?

Back