plastic water containers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mfreeman

I think the plastic water containers might not be any good. I am new to the hobby and I am starting my first tank. I stared to cycle the system and have been doing tests for the past few weeks. Everything seems to be going well until I tested the RO/DI water that I am storing. Ammonia was .25 PPM, Nitrite was 2 PPM and the Nitrate was 40 PPM. The water tested to the same parameters as the tanks water. So I tested the water straight of the RO/DI and all checks out clear. Has anyone had this problem?

If they are food grade I would be surprised they are causing a problem. There may be a film on the inside of the container when you buy it new that could cause problems. Another possibility is the plastic leaching phosphates but if your finding ammonia theres reason to believe theres something in/on there causing the bacteria to grow.

OK i tested all my containers and have can to a conclusion. Three of the four had some degree of ammonia and or nitrates. When I refill the ATO I just changed out containers. By doing that it seams that i have had contamination from the sump tank. so note to self just use the ATO container for just the ATO. So know i am going to wash out the others three containers with vinegar to clean them out. But i will keep an eye to make sure it is not the plastic that might be causing this problem. Thanks for your help Rapidfire

Back