Plate Coral?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

aiaman

I was sold this as a Plate Coral form my LFS. It looks like one but there are no tentacles day or night, just the fissures, I thought it might be Disk Coral.
Any id would be helpful, thanks

there is a mint green flesh and it does wave in the current. I can't get better photos, my phone is all I have but thanks.
I thought plate coral was heliofungia and disk coral was fungia. It hasn't moved so I thought it was plate.

Plate Coral and Disk Coral are usually used to describe the same coral, usually referred to as Plate Coral.

Heliofungia only has one species, in our hobby, Heliofungia actiniformis, and there's confusion if "Heliofungia" is even an appropriate name, or if they're all Fungia corals. Heliofungia actiniformis was originally named Fungia actiniformis.

Either way, they all have the ability to "move," though it's not all that common. So, just because it doesn't move, doesn't mean it's not one or the other.

In addition to what Sid said, Heliofungia is referred to as a "long tentacled plate coral", and Fungia is referred to as "short tentacled plate coral". Other than tentacle length, they're pretty much the same when it comes to care - on the sand bed with low to moderate flow.

heres mine :)
april16002.jpg

Back