Playapixie's Solana 34 Build: First saltwater tank!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Yes, the Lobo is from Barrier Reef. There were I think 3 of them when I picked up mine a few months ago, so I bet ours are related. It is gorgeous, especially under the blue LED's. Although it really only wants top out its feeding tentacles when all the lights are out, which is too bad, as that's when I think it's especially amazing!

did you ever settle on new leds? i've got a maxspect mazarra p series setup on the way for my 46 and was wondering if you went that route, and if so, how you like them?

I ended up going with the Ecotech Radion LED, and I'm happy with it. Great color and spread, highly programmable. Unfortunately, they have still not released a Mac version, despite saying it's being aggressively pursued, so I have to use Parallells on the Mac, which meant spending an additional $90...ug. Also, the software is really poorly written--buggy, and not user-friendly or intuitive. It's pretty frustrating. But once it's programmed and running, the light is excellent and reliable.

In other news, at some point in the past 2 weeks my McCosker's Flasher Wrasse jumped into the back--I'm not sure which section he jumped into, but he ended up in the 2nd chamber of the media basket--below the filter floss layer, so my guess is he must have jumped into chamber 3 and swam into chamber 2. I looked in all 3 sections the day he disappeared and didn't see him, but I didn't think to pull out the media basket. Sadly, when I did a water change almost 2 weeks later, I found him with almost no signs of decay, so he was probably alive back there for quite some time. Bummer. Poor little guy. Now I know to pull the media basket if a fish disappears again. *sigh*

That means that I'm back to looking for one last fish...

Time for some new photos...at 10+ months the tank has really grown out nicely now and I'm almost out of real estate... :)

I'm sorry to hear of the fish, i know how that feels :-( Glad to see my former tank going strong :) I hear you on the real estate, i'm thinking of moving from my 57g to a 100g now. Check out my build thread, I posted some new pictures there a couple weeks back.

james

I ended up going with the Ecotech Radion LED, and I'm happy with it. Great color and spread, highly programmable. Unfortunately, they have still not released a Mac version, despite saying it's being aggressively pursued, so I have to use Parallells on the Mac, which meant spending an additional $90...ug. Also, the software is really poorly written--buggy, and not user-friendly or intuitive. It's pretty frustrating. But once it's programmed and running, the light is excellent and reliable.

In other news, at some point in the past 2 weeks my McCosker's Flasher Wrasse jumped into the back--I'm not sure which section he jumped into, but he ended up in the 2nd chamber of the media basket--below the filter floss layer, so my guess is he must have jumped into chamber 3 and swam into chamber 2. I looked in all 3 sections the day he disappeared and didn't see him, but I didn't think to pull out the media basket. Sadly, when I did a water change almost 2 weeks later, I found him with almost no signs of decay, so he was probably alive back there for quite some time. Bummer. Poor little guy. Now I know to pull the media basket if a fish disappears again. *sigh*

That means that I'm back to looking for one last fish...

Time for some new photos...at 10+ months the tank has really grown out nicely now and I'm almost out of real estate... :)

Back