pleas help is this the correct pump?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Goatse

i don't have internet so i am on my phone so bare with me... i bought a bundle of equipment/aquarium one of the pieces was a pentair lifegard model af-93 and af-94 they are already connected. the 94 has some gauges on the top to tell me when to clean the filter. i kinda got excited and blindly bought a via aqua 2600 760 gph pump on ebay. was that a good choice? is it compatible? 55 gal, future reef. if that was the right one do i just run the pump behind the filter to the tank or what? do i need any thing else? sump? any tips? thanks so much:)

A real quick answer to your questions would be STOP! Before buying anything more, do some detailed research on what you wish to accomplish with your tank. So many times in this hobby, we get into too much of a hurry and buy things we do not need. Trust me, I am speaking from experience here. I cannot tell you how much crap I have purchased in the past only to have it collect dust in the garage. And if that's not bad enough, then I have to explain to the wife why this thing that "I needed so badly" is sitting in it's box on a shelf. This forum is packed with excellent information and links to more information. Please take some time and do some more research. Good luck.

Regards,

I would second that advice. Stop, step back and do more research, BEFORE you purchase anything else. Chances are that the lifeguard filter isn't going to be at all what you want or need.

A typical reef aquarium needs the proper amount of quality live rock, the proper amount of quality flow, a protein skimmer and the proper lighting. That's it. Most mechanical forms of filtration will quickly become nitrate factories, so you don't want them.

A sump with a built in refugium will be of great benefit, but isn't absolutely necessary.

Once you've done a lot more research, then post again, with much more information about your tank. At that point, we'll be able to give you better advice.

i will take your advice. im a big believer that you have 2 ears and one mouth so you can listen twice as much as you speak ;)... i bought alot of stuff all at once second hand. i have what i believe to be a decent protein skimmer (seaclone 100 gal) amd a decent light (48'' corallife) and much more.... i asked about 3 other reefers if the lifegard filter was nice for reef and they said it was awesome including the guy who sold me my liverock. the only thing i didn't ask was what exact pump to buy but he gave me an idea, so i got that one on ebay... so i will nip out the livegard filter and look into a sump and refugeium... can i use the pump i just purchased to flow the sump and circulate the water? what other information do you need? thanks so much for your help...

O i see you did the same as me and got sucked into a seaclone. They are pretty much useless even with the modes out there. As they have all said before do research as much as possible and when you think u have it all figured out post it on here before buying anything and these guys can shoot you in the right direction. As for a skimmer talk to luke or skimmerwhisperer(mark), they can tell you exactly what you will need where to buy and you wont waste any money on anything you dont need. In fact as for the same price as the seaclone 150 i got a skimmer mark referred to me delivered to my house and its awesome! As i am still new and doing my fair share of research just my two cents since i spent a lot of money that i didnt need to before i found reef frontiers.

darn... but is the new pump useless? as far as the skimmer thanks and i will speak with them soon as i have the cash to purchase a new one.

im not sure does the seaclone 100 come with the maxijet 1200? mine did so i just bought the sureflow mod kit for 25 bucks and then you have a great powerhead, even if its the 900 you can still get the mod for it and it will work. So the pump is usable if not you can use it for a return pump, a normal powerhead, mixing saltwater, or doing water changes.

If setup correctly I'm sure it can be used with that skimmer altho I agree that it's a pice of junk. Wold do well for you'r startup to get you going but should quickly be changed out for something to do some real skimming.

If I may ask where are you located?

:D and Welcome to RF!

im not sure does the seaclone 100 come with the maxijet 1200? mine did so i just bought the sureflow mod kit for 25 bucks and then you have a great powerhead, even if its the 900 you can still get the mod for it and it will work. So the pump is usable if not you can use it for a return pump, a normal powerhead, mixing saltwater, or doing water changes.

Good advice on using the skimmers pump as a powerhead in the tank, but I think he was asking about the Viaqua 2600 he bought:) Yes, the Viaqua should be fine to use as a return pump from a sump/refugium. It wouldn't be my first choice, but its still ok. Replace it with an Eheim 1260 when it goes out a few years from now.

For a nice economical sump that has a refugium chamber and protein skimmer chamber check out the Eshopps ADV-100 for your 55g. Go one size bigger to give you more sump capacity and skimmer space if you have room.

http://www.eshopps.com/advance.php

It still needs a siphon overflow box unless your tank is drilled.

What kind of lights are in your Coralife fixture? What types of coral do you want to keep?

As far as skimmers go there are a bunch of good units out there for a 55g. Euro-Reef, Octopus, Vertex, Eshopps. I doubt you'd be unhappy with any of these. If you need even more skimming look into ATI, ATB, SWC, or Bubble King. Doubt you need to go there for the average 55g though.

Good luck and enjoy this amazing hobby!

Last edited:
If setup correctly I'm sure it can be used with that skimmer altho I agree that it's a pice of junk. Wold do well for you'r startup to get you going but should quickly be changed out for something to do some real skimming.
:shock: Scratch all that ^^^ hate when I read something wrong :p
But still vvv
If I may ask where are you located?

:D and Welcome to RF!

thanks for the quick responses:). menace: i live in san antonio texas. thanks alot for the welcome... barrier: the lights are 10000k corallife, i have not decided on coral have any starter coral suggestions? should i trash my skimmer and keep its pump? i love 2 things; saving money and tinkering can i do both if i build my own sump? if so can you point me to a decent tutorial? i wouldn't know what size if i look myself. and thanks everyone for your excellant advice...

Last edited:
In my opinion i would take the skimmer back if you can, if not i would keep the maxijet and use it for flow or something, i mean u can use the skimmer however it will not really benefit you very much. Im sure these guys will chime in with some great advice for you.

sounds great the bad thing is i bought it on cl used everything came with the tank:)

o ok, well go to nuocean.com/ this is where i got the bubble magnus nac6 that mark recommended. It only costs 150 shipped to your door. Not expensive for a really good skimmer. It would also work if you ever upgraded to a bigger tank.Not sure if this one will work for you but im sure he can tell you one that would that wouldnt break the bank. If you mod the maxijet pump you can get up to 1600gph and i think its like 25$ not bad at all.

as of right now i can't purchase everything so i will buy overtime. i have 6 months to seed my dead rock cas i am moving in 6months and only want rock to avoid shocking fish... that being said my only concern atm is seeding my dead rock. what is most important? adding a sump or replacing my skimmer? if i need the sump first can someone recommend me a tutorial if homemade ones cut cost and keep quality. thanks guys.

Add a sump, otherwise you are limited to hang on back skimmers. Measure the space in your stand and buy a used tank that will fit for the sump. You can glue in baffles yourself very easily. You can easily set up a sump like this for around 50 bucks for tank and supplies. Does the tank have an overflow? If not you may want to consider drilling the tank for an overflow.
-chris

ok good deal. i do not have it drilled. is there any way to get around drilling? have any tutorials so i can know the dimensions of the sump? its not a large stand its tall but only the with and length of the tank.

let me take that back. the rear of the stand is pretty much nothing. i have plenty room. how many gallons of sum would my 55 gal

There are many different sump designs for many different equipment equipment needs. I have found that the simplest designs make room for a refugium, protein skimmer, and return pump. I adopted this guy's design, which used a modified 30 gallon aquarium. I ended up not drilling a hole for the external water pump and instead used a submersible, but there is ample space for the live rock/sand, skimmer, and pump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxnugJGiT3o

Back