Please advise!!!! Pump went bad

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

saltwaterfishes

12 Step Zoa Program
Looks like I had a short circuit last night and everything got shot off in the frag tank....this morning I reset and everything started running again. Then after 30 seconds I see smoke coming out of my water, looks like a pump blew and sending out smoke. I took out 3 pumps to figure out which one went bad, still have 2 in the tank circulating water. Fish seems to be breathing heavy.
Do I need to do a water change?
Should I take fish out?
Will this effect corals?

Immediately do a MASSIVE water change and start running loads of carbon before everything dies. I am serious, time is wasting.!!!!!

If you have another tank set up, move everything you can

Mixing salt right now for water change and starting to moving fish to another tank. How long will I see this effect corals?

Half to start while you watch for effects. Toxins probably got leached into tank when pump blew. If stuff continues to show signs of stress or death, keep changing water. Carbon will remove last of the impurities after water changes

I am thinking happy thoughts for you and your tank friends.
Hopefully nothing bad got into the water and they are just breathing heave from lack of oxygen.
Everybody cross your fingers.

I am thinking happy thoughts for you and your tank friends.
Hopefully nothing bad got into the water and they are just breathing heave from lack of oxygen.
Everybody cross your fingers.

What a sweet thought :>)

I agree, hope for the best and do all that is necessary to prevent the worst.
With fast enough action, most could do fine.

wow I hope everything turns out to be ok for you saltwaterfishes, I had a pump go bad on me about 6 months ago and it was releasing voltage into the tank. Of course it happened while i was extremely sick with the flu so i didnt catch it for a few days and by then i ended up losing some of my corals. Do water changes and run carbon as said by herefishyfishy.

Oh, no, I wish I had read this before I had gone to lunch. I would have come to help you. I get off work at 4 if you need any help, let me know.

Ahhhhh!!! Almost there with mixing water since I also have to heat up water on the stove. Oh and fix a quick lunch for the kids, no school today. Hopefully finish water change next hour then move a few corals out to the main tank, just in cause.
Thanks everyone!!!! Got to get back.

Hey, how is everything doing? Hope you were able to save everything. I just had my own catastrophe with a power head. My rbta decided to climb into it while I was out. Came home and found what was left of it hanging out of the power head. It’s been happy for months in one spot and a couple days ago it started moving. Any way. Hope everything is going okay for you. Let me know if I can help you restock anything.

Last edited:
If you lost flow in your tank because of the tripped breaker your fish will be breathing hard from a lack of oxygen in the water because of no flow. You can always take a cup of water, raise it over the tank a little ways and then pour the water back into the tank. This can help to add air into the water in case of a emergency. I have not heard of copper poisoning from a blow pump. Maybe look at getting a grounding probe so you do not get electrocuted from a pump that is shorting out.

I did another large water change (almost 50%) Sunday night, put back 2 koralias and replace the blown pump. Spent a couple more hours last night moving a some frags back. Lost a few frags....not too bad except one of the frags was a raptors rainbow:(:cry: But a very nice reefer offered to trade me a frag.....thank you:)

Back