Please chime in....anyone and everyone....what are the effects of blood in the tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I can honestly say though.....I have been bit by hundreds of pythons and boa's in addition to other snakes, also Nile and Mangrove monitors....but none and I mean NONE of them hurt as much as when this guy locked on and started doing his thrash....it's amazing how much power is in such a small creature.....I can only imagine what an adult, or a nurse, much less the black tip....would do should they lock on.

FYI....it was sort of a "luck shot" he came up and my finger went in mouth....you can guess what happened from there. What I failed to mention is as I was finishing in the tank my wife managed to spill a couple of drops from the cup containing the Mazuri and thawed silversides.....so food was in the water....

You guys want to know something crazy....it is almost as though the shark can smell the food before it even hits the water. I bring in the cup with thawed SS's and Mazuri and he immediately responds...then when the first bit enters the water he really responds. Sharks are definitely an efficient predator. I know....."no %$@" right?

I can honestly say though.....I have been bit by hundreds of pythons and boa's in addition to other snakes, also Nile and Mangrove monitors....but none and I mean NONE of them hurt as much as when this guy locked on and started doing his thrash....it's amazing how much power is in such a small creature.....I can only imagine what an adult, or a nurse, much less the black tip....would do should they lock on.

Shark bite pressure is measured in tons per square inch, not pounds. I'm not surprised that hurt. The thrashing roll also tears and dislocates meat from the prey....I dont know how big your shark is or what type, but if your entire finger was in its mouth, and it rolled, you're still lucky enough to have your finger.

Nick

nah....shark is only around 10 inches and it only got close to the first knuckle

Should be good. Can't think of anything toxic in the blood. As for the living cells in the blood, they were all probably completely lysed by the ionic pressure from the salt. The human body is at about 0.9% saline, your tank is at about 3.5% saline. Might not sound like a huge difference, but it is. The blood cells all immediately imploded due to the pressure.

At that point, the proteins would spill out and go into the food chain. The only heavy metal present in any large amount would be the iron from the hemoglobin in your red cells, and that can actually have a beneficial affect, as long as it isn't overdosed ........

Wow, All i can say is BAM! nothing beats having a microbiologist (parasitologist) on your forum, lol.

Even at 10" if that shark started thrashing becasue it smelled blood, You're very lucky to have a finger or should I say half of a finger.

Sharks are like pitbulls of the sea. They will lock on and not let go. Remember this, If the shark ever grabs on to you again, hit it in the snout. It should release promtly.

As for blood in teh water. Most that will happen is what you saw. The sharks will go nuts with even a drop of blood in such a small sized tank. Just think that in the ocean a shark can smell a drop of blood from about 1,000 miles away and hone in on it with precision like a fighter jet.

I'd definatly keep my hand out of the water until I know the sharks have calmed and are not out for human flesh. They have a taste now and now they will probably want more.

Sorry to hear about the misfortune.

I agree, the blood wont hurt the tank any. I sliced the side of my hand open on some metal on a pump and didn't even realize it because my hands were already wet. Well it had been dumping into my sump for a good minute or two as I was finishing the install. No problems that I saw. My hands are constantly cut up because of what I do but I still have to get in my tank and do maintenance. My cuts all heal just fine with no infection at all. I think the salt water kind of sterilizes it somewhat.

Good luck with everything though!

ReefLogic,

If it were me, I would wear some chainlink armor the next time I put any part of my hand/arm in the tank.

Back