Please gimmie ideas on mounting these lights

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tdfox

I need to figure out a way to mount my MHs.
Wondering how I retrofit my hood?
Do I move out some of my existing lights or do I move them back and set it up to use all the light (not at the same time of course!)?
In place I have 6 bulbs they are...
2 coralife 6700k 65W
2 coralife 10,000k Actinic
2 coralife 10,000k 65W
I am looking at adding mucho coral clams and such no more fish.
Help the new guy learn!!!
Thanks
Travis
see attach.

Last edited:
that is very easy. cut a hole the size of the pendant on top of the canopy and move the pc's off to the side for suppliment. that should give you 6 or so inches between the water and lights and still have the canopy. just place the pendant on top of the canopy.

I think Brad has a good idea there. It will be kinda hard to fit those pendants in there along with those other lights:)

cool

hmmm good idea I knew I could come to you guys/gals for good ideas.

So do ya think I should keep what I have and supplement?
Also should I try shifting the pcs back or just keep them where they are and mount the MH towards the back (that is where they would have to be to mount now)
Thanks
Travis

location?

Okay I am was all ready to do this (the way Brad has pictured, Thanks!)and notice that... I can't.
Okay well I can't do it how I wanted.
The pc light/reflector system cannot be moved in the hood. With way the fans, the hood supports and the full length reflector they can't be moved.

But... how about this I what if I just mount the MHs just behind the pcs?
like this the MHs would be the little rectangles?
Top view
---------------------------------------------
' '
' '-------' '--------' '
' '-------' '--------' '
' '--------------------------------------' '
' ' pc Bank o' lite ' '
' '--------------------------------------' '
'---------------------------------------------'

So this would place the MH light in the back half of the tank, do they need to be centered?
Thanks
Travis

Last edited:
I would try and keep the hallides centerd. Are the PC's just for actinic supplement now? You might try and get smaller reflectors for the pc's and use 2 on each side of the hallides. I like the idea of still mounting hallides on top of hood.
Scott:)

I agree...No need for the pc's unless you are using them for supplemental lighting or for something like a dusk to dawn effect. If you want a tad bit more blue in your lighting without using the pc's just go with a higher kelvin rating on your MH bulb:)

time?

Hmmm
I didn't think of just the MHs
How many hours would you guys run them?
would be a pair of Hamiltons with 250W, 14000K on a 90gal
Travis

That is debateable. Some people run their lights for more hours than others for different reasons, but me personally, I run my MH's for 7 hours. Same went for my 75gal when I had it and was running dual 250w MH's. Corals and fish only need so many hours a day of light (not sure the exact amount) but I think generally speaking, most people run their lights for about 8 hours on average:)

I currently have 2 250W MHs over my 120 (using Hamilton 14Ks). I think my photoperiod is about 9 hours or so.

Back